Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1989 F150: quit running..acts like fuel..stater..check next

My 1989 F150 quit running acts like fuel have good fuel pressure after the fuel fillter. It will run on stater fluid. What do I check next?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Ron :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Will it stay running once it starts with the fluid?

Ron :

If it stop running after you have stopped spraying then the fuel pump is eaither bad or there is no current to it, I would start with taking a 12 volt test light and see if you have 12 volts while cranking at the inertia switch . The inertia switch is located on the left kick panel just above the E Brake.

Customer :

It dies as soon as I stop spraying. I have two tanks and it won't run on ether tank I changed the fuel filter and have 50PSI after the filter.

Ron :

If you have good fuel pressure at the fuel rail and and its not starting and running then you have most likely lost injector pulse.

Customer :

I have 12 volts and can hear the fuel pump run when I turn on the key then shut off. The engine chanks but does not try to run till i spray strarter fluid in the intake runs till I stop spraying then stops.

Customer :

If I'm not getting a pulse to the injecters where do i start looking for the loss of pulse

Ron :

Then take a NOID light which you can purchase at your local parts store for about $8.00 and plug it into one or more of the connectors at the injectors and see if the light flashes while cranking, if not the PCM (computer) has likely failed.

Customer :

Is the PCM the main computer? Where is it located?

Ron :

Yes the PCM is the computer. Its located in the drivers side kick panel.

Customer :

Thanks for the Help