Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

98 Ford Ranger: wipers..dome light..you disconnect the module

98 Ford Ranger wipers and dome light dont work until driving a couple of minutes. Diagnosed problem to be Central Timer Module (CTM) replaced with a Generic Electrical Module (GEM). Now if you turn the wiper on they only work on high and they wont shut off unless you disconnect the module. I took it to the dealer to have it programed and they said the multifunction switch was bad and that was the problem.I took it back to my shop and replaced the multifunction switch with a new one and to my supprise (not really) that didnt fix the problem. The wiper worked fine with the old module after a couple of minutes. Do you have to program the GEM for the wipers also ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Shawn :

Hi, Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today with your question.

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

NOTE: The generic electronic module (GEM)/central timer module (CTM) must be reconfigured upon replacement. Refer to the New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester help screen on the Ford Service Function (FSF) card to program the Tire Size, Axle Ratio.

NOTE: When configuring the GEM, the NGS Ford Service Function (FSF) Card version 1.1 will display the following negative response:

• UNABLE TO PERFORM TEST/FUNCTION
  • SUB FUNCTION NOT SUPPORTED or INVLID FORMAT

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

If you need I can send test procedures for the wipers, you may have a defective wiper relay.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should'nt they have reconfigured that at the dealer when I took it there and is that why my wiper wont shut off?
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

Yes, I would hope so. The GEM should have been programmed.

You may have a defective wiper relay. If you need I can send test procedures for the wipers.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is the wiper relay located
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

The relay is located in the Engine Compartment Fuse panel. (see diagram below).

graphic

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, If there are no more questions, then PLEASE don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

-Did you check the relays?

-Do you need test procedures?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did test them They are good
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
How were they tested?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
replaced them with known good ones
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Use (DVOM) (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) to check for the continuity between terminal 2 and all other terminals. If the resistance is 5 ohms or less between terminal 2 and any other terminal, replace the relay. If resistance is greater than 5 ohms, continue with the test. Use two jumper wires to connect relay terminals 1 and 3 directly to the positive battery terminal. Use 73 Digital Multimeter set in the volts position to check for voltage at terminal 4. If battery voltage is not indicated, replace the relay. If battery voltage is indicated, connect a third jumper wire to terminal 2 and ground the jumper wire to a known good ground. Check for voltage at terminal 5. If battery voltage is not indicated, replace the relay.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
relays tested good
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
Below are the symptoms and the possibilties, most likely the relay is not grounding properly either through the GEM, Components or connectors.

Symptom Chart
Condition Possible Sources

• The Wipers Stay On Continuously
  • Circuitry.
  • GEM/CTM.
  • Multi-function switch.
  • Wiper run/park relay.
  • Wiper HI/LO relay.
  • Wiper motor.
  • DTC B1431.
  • DTC B1432.
  • DTC B1441.
  • DTC B1453.
  • DTC B1473.
  • DTC B1476.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
To properly diagnose you will also need a NGS (New Generation Star) or equivalent scan tool.

I do not recommend guessing, if you need I can send the proper test procedures.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Symptom Chart
ConditionPossible Sources

• The Wipers Stay On Continuously
  • Circuitry.
  • GEM/CTM.
  • Multi-function switch.
  • Wiper run/park relay.
  • Wiper HI/LO relay.
  • Wiper motor.
  • DTC B1431.
  • DTC B1432.
  • DTC B1441.
  • DTC B1453.
  • DTC B1473.
  • DTC B1476.

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

Below are the wiper test procedures as well as the wiper wiring diagrams.

CLICK HERE FOR TEST PROCEDURES (see wiring diagrams below)

graphic
graphic