Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Car jerks while accelerating after coming to a complete stop

car jerks while accelerating after coming to a complete stop. Last two days. Possible transmission problem? or brake caliper problem? I've read this is a signal of both.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

Is the check engine light on?

How does the engine accelerate?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
check engine light is not on

engine accelerates and performs beautifully
just had major engine repair in may 2010 because of leak
engine runs very very smoothly
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
SO the engine idles ok as well?

This problem only happens while accelerating or when at a complete stop?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
engine idles a-ok. engine runs very smoothly, no misses. as i explained, just had major engine work performed a few months ago.

while accelerating after i have come to a stop. when i do a rolling stop, even worse. just last 2 days.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Well, if it was the calipers, it would do this all the time.

If the transmission was slipping, it should also do this when accelerating.

If it is when coming to a stop (rolling stop), maybe you have a bad IAC motor coasting the engine to surge just a bit.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, it does not happen when I am in process or stopping,.
This problem is ONLY happening Rolling stop, and I am ACCELERATING

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Does the tack studder or jerk when this happens or is it the steering wheel or whole car?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Tachometer... engine speed

I take it your instrument cluster does not have this?

If not, does it feel like the engine is jerking?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
steering wheel does not jerk

feels like a definite slippage which i feel from accelerator pedal
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

Well, then yes... it very well could be your transmission. IT could be a shudder that your feeling. Sounds like the trans fluid is low. First step is to check the fluid level. If it is low, chance are that filling it will solve the problem. If the fluid is dirty, you can try flushing it and see if that helps. HOwever I have not had much success. If it is clean and full and the trans is still slipping, the transmission may need to get replaced or rebuilt. HOwever, it may need ot go to a transmission shop before making that decision.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this car receives regular maintenance
repair shop noted trans flluid was black, but did not want to change it because said since car is old, could create problems when fluid is changed.
this shop is very reputable here in town, but i wonder if they are diagnosing correctly.
is there danger in changing transmission fluid on old car?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Only if the fluid is really really dirt. SOmetimes the dirt will act as seals inside the transmission and will drain out when draining the fluid out. If this happens, the seals inside the transmission can start to leak causing low line pressure which can cause the transmission to slip.

But this is very rare. I have only seen this one or twice in about 10 years.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so would you suggest having trans serviced?
or accelerating very very slowly so jerking doesn't happen?
I mean really slow; otherwise jerks
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
If the problem is the transmission, YES! I would flush and fill the transmission fluid.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will low transmission fluid show up if I take car to auto supply where they diagnose problems free?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
You mean scan the computer??

It is possible low fluid will cause a code in the computer.

HOwever, you can just check the fluid yourself... you don't need ot have the computer scanned for codes to see if the fluid is low
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
you're talking to a grandmother
where under the hood is transmission fluid located?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
As your facing the engine in front of the car, the dipstick will be located on the right side behind the air cleaner housing. IT will sit between the engine and fire wall. THe color of the dipstick is yellow.

Going to get some sleep.

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.