Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2002 Windstar: dies..Error codes..crank position sensor..ajar

Customer Question

2002 Windstar SEL dies when driving. Error codes p0320 p1336 are for crank position sensor but that was replaced three times. The lights stopped going on when I lock the car with the remote and the liftgate ajar comes on in the control panel.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric N replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Code p1336 is lose of signal from Crank sensor or Cam sensor. And usually a p0320 is related the Cam sensor. The cam sensor is located on the timing cover near the p/s pump. It will have a 2 or 3 wire connector to it. You should remove the sensor and inspect it for damage from the synchronizer assembly.

This is what it looks like.

graphic

Let me know what you find.

Thanks, Eric

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Those parts were working fine. My suspicion is that the computer or alarm is shutting off the fuel injectors from some odd reason. I get this liftgate agar message and when we reset the computer it went away. Then it came back on and the problem came back.
The history is that my father bought this for me at the beginning of the summer and drove it to 475 miles to me. I drove it around NYC for a few months and then went on a trip 400 miles away. We got there fine. When we arrived I noticed the engine fading a bit. But the next few days it drove fine.
One day, with whole fam in the car we were climbing a mountain and the rpm's were going up and donwn and the car was chugging back and forth with the engine light on. The car was running but wouldn't for much. I tried to stop somewhere and call my father (dealer and very informed about cars) and it stalled on me. Then started again and chugged and stalled.
I had it towed to a shop where they read those codes, it was late so he decided to fix it the next day and leave it parked in the bay under the lift. The car started the next day and ran fine. He tested the parts and the cam sensor was fine but he thought the chugging could be recreated by unplugging the crank sensor and it was so he replaced it. I picked it up and drove it 120 miles from pittsburgh to cleveland.

I get to cleveland without a problem. That night I was stopped at a red light and the same problem occurred. Obviously, something wasn't fixed. My father, being in the car business, had it towed to his buddy's garage who tried lots of things and thought the crank sensor that was put on was faulty so he replaced it. He has a car dr. who came with his laptops and run a battery of tests and found nothing other than the crank sensor.

Problem is that when my father broght it back fixed - it dies right in front of his driveway. We had it towed back to the same guy and he replaced but another crank sensor and this time the Car DR. tried some more tests and all was fine. He made sure to get the Ford part and not the after-market. My father drove it for two weeks in cleveland and then 475 miles to NYC and it had no problems.

He was about to go back to cle and the car died in middle of me driving it. There always is power and it turns over. Just no start.
We got a boost and it started right up. My father thinks that maybe the cars alarm of module is shutting off the fuel injectors and the boost we got fixed that for the moment. He said that if we unplug the battery and wait a few minutes it would have the same effect.
Also, of worth is that the lights would flash when locking the doors with the remote - and they don't now. Some other info: this car was bought from an auction without the remote. I had a windstar 2001 before this one and took the clicker from that one and programmed it for this one. Perhaps the bootlegged manner in which we programmed it is also contributing to the alarm systems malfunction?

The rest is up to you.
Thanks
Expert:  Eric N replied 3 years ago.

Has the fuel pressure been checked?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Eric N replied 3 years ago.
This vehicle has an aftermarket alarm?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. Factory installed
Expert:  Eric N replied 3 years ago.
What was the fuel pressure when the vehicle wouldn't start? Also. There is a TSB for this vehicle related to water entering the PCM which can cause weird intermittent issues. You should remove the PCM connector and inspect inside for any signs of water intrusion.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
40
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please answer