Marty
Marty, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Certified. 20 years experience. Certified training in: driveability, electronics, etc.
50706092

2002 Ford Explorer check transmission light has come on and

2002 Ford Explorer check transmission light has come on and the O/D light flashed. Also check engine light has come on. Car is kicking back when shifting. What could be the problem and how urgent? Do I need to tow the car to service or can it be driven?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.

Marty :

Allow me to help in diagnosing your vehicle! If I helped make sure to hit the accept button so I can get credited. You have to get the codes pulled out of the computer, It sounds like it could be a speed sensor concern,by pulling the codes we can isolate the concern. You can drive it to the dealer as long as it is safe to drive and is not leaking fluid.

Customer :

Hi Marty

Customer :

this is my daughters car and she is away at college so my info is a bit second hand. If it were leaking transmission fluid, what would the transmisson fluid look like? Where/how can she add transmission fluid to get it to the repair shop if necessary?

Marty :

It is red in colour , unfortunately you can not ck the fluid level its under the vehicle on the side of the transmission ,Poor design? But if there is no fluid on the ground it is probably ok. These are common for the speed sensor in rear.

Customer :

What about the kicking back when the gears shift when stopping and starting?

Marty :

If the speed sensor is faulty the transmission does not know what to do and will react this way.

Customer :

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX now I have an idea of what is going on when I take it in.

Marty :

Your welcome.

Marty, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Certified. 20 years experience. Certified training in: driveability, electronics, etc.