Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2002 ford explorer has a transfer case problem.If I unplug

2002 ford explorer has a transfer case problem.If I unplug electrical connector the problem goes away.It has a automatic four wheeldrive,and it feels like it is being engaged paritally on.In four wheel drive mode it goes away.I replaced module in glove box,symptoms still there.I checked sensors,and cant find anything wrong.I dont know if it is a input to controller,or possibly something wrong in transfercase.
Submitted: 6 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

There are transfer case and wheel speed sensors which need to be monitored with a scan tool to see if there is a difference when driven straight down the road. Any thing over 3mph difference causes auto 4x4 activation. The most common cause is tire circumference difference. You need to raise the vehicle and use a nylon tape measure and wrap it around each tire. All must be within 1/4 inch circumference.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tires are brand new and already scoped sensors with ids and are within specifications.
Since all the sensors are showing the same speeds then it has to be the tires, you have already addressed everything else. You still need to measure them regardless if there new.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If it would be the tires what is actually turning the the electromagnet on in the transfercase?If tires circumference are off what is computer looking at,and can you see that on any equipment?

The clutch is triggered on by the module. When the module sees a wheel speed or transfer case front or rear speed sensor difference it thinks one tire or one axle is spinning (like on ice) so it engages the transfer case via the clutch. Yes you can watch all the speed sensors and record there activity while driving and while its acting up to verify if one or more sensors are reading off compared to the others. If its the tires having different circumferences then one wheel speed sensor will be showing a different speed than the others.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I looked at wheel speed sensors and couldnt find a problem with them either
Looked at them or monitored them while driving?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
With ids i monitored them while driving down road when symptoms were occuring.
All showed dead on the same exact speed at all times, did you watch the actual speed or did you select graph to see if there were any spikes?
Did you also monitor the front and rear transfer case speed sensors?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I did all of the above questions you asked.I checked sensors twice to make sure and couldnt find any abnormal readings.I went through all associated tests that ids has to offer and everything looked good.The only thing I did see in memory was a open right front speed sensor code,but I monitored that sensor when problem is occuring and I dont see any difference between left or right sensor under data logger.I dont know if that code was set because vehicle was up in air when listening for the transfer case noise the first time.
Ok, now that I know all this extra info, you can rule out the sensors and tone rings and shift motor and module and tires. You now need to monitor, the VSS in the PCM and shift motor and the ABS. at some time there all not matching and this is commanding the module to activate the clutch, I assume you did watch the clutch being commanded on with the scan tool, if you did not then that is also needed. If there is no command of the clutch then you have a ball ramp worn in front of the clutch inside the transfer case.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did see a command on the clutch thats why I unplugged connector to see if it was in transfer case or if it was a command.I just couldnt see why it was being commanded and what input was making the command.I looked at sensors,and couldnt find problem so I thought maybe I was missing something or didnt fully understand operation ..At about 35mph do you know what the command spec is supposed to be?What if the command amount is right but the clutches in transfer case are bad could them slipping be my problem?
The command should always be zero percent unless it sees the need to prevent wheel slippage.