EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

2004 F350: heavy white smoke, knocking..Parked it. temp gauge

2004 F350 Powerstroke started light black smoking, then heavy white smoke, knocking. Parked it. Temp gauge and water gauge normal, water in fuel light not on. Now won't turn over.

Hi. Have you checked the oil level? Does it seem like there is fuel in it?

Thanks, Eric

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Eric,

The oil shows full on dip stick but has a faint oder of diesel

Can you do a coolant system pressure test? I think you blew the headgasket or an injector stuck open and when you shit it off the cylinder filled with coolant or fuel and is now hydro locked. The engine is probably not hurt though if it only hydro locked while it was sitting there.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Eric,

How do I let the pressure off if it has a hydrolic lock?

You need to remove the glow plug and turn it over.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Eric,

I cannot find a glow plug any where on the engine (tongue in cheek) I also cannot preform a pressure test on the coolant system. If you could start me in the right direction I can usually get through the procedure of taking a glow plug out. Finding it is hard. Do you think this needs a shop? we are quite a ways from one.

Doug

Well, the problem your faced with is that you do not know which cylinder is locked. You should remove all the glow plugs and when cranking you'll see which one it fires out of. The glow plugs are under the valve covers. So first determine if you can remove the valve covers on your own. If that appears to difficult, it should probably go to a shop. You would need a coolant pressure test to do that check.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Eric,

That is the info I can work with. Thank you very much and I wish you well.

Doug Stanley

Ok your welcome. Please remember to click accept if you are glad with the information you received.

Thanks, Eric