Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

My 2005 Ford Expedition occasionally wont start. When it

My 2005 Ford Expedition occasionally won't start. When it happens it won't even turn over but everything Electrical works. You turn the key and nothing. If you wait say 10 minutes or so it will start. The battery was replace and a small wire harness pigtail that was suggested by a TSB and the starter relay in the fusebox was replaced.

Brian
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.

Tim West :

Thanks for visiting Just answer

Tim West :

When it does not start does the security light come on while the key is in the crank position? Or does it turn off normally?

JACUSTOMER-4ok3hs9w- :

I never looked....so I can't say...

JACUSTOMER-4ok3hs9w- :

it may be days before it happens again....

Tim West :

Okay, well here is some things to keep in mind. Since the relay and fuse boxes are OK, it has to be a problem with one of the componets that allow the vehicle to crank.

Tim West :

So, when the problem is present shift the vehicle into N

Tim West :

If the vehicle will start in neutral there is more than likely a problem with the neutral safety switch.

Tim West :

If that does not help, try to check for power right at the starter. What size engine is this?

Tim West :

I am going to get a wiring diagram.

JACUSTOMER-4ok3hs9w- :

Funny you should mention that...I have tried to start it while in neutral...no joy there....it is the 5.4...eddie bauer edition if that matters....

Tim West :

Full Size Image

Tim West :

ok when the engine will not crank access the starter relay.

Tim West :

Check for power at pin 30 at all times. If there is no power check the fuse 101 30A

Tim West :

If OK

Tim West :

check for power on pin 85 (tan red wire) with the vehicle in crank. If no power there, you could have a neutral switch problem.

Tim West :

If OK, check for ground from the PCM.

Tim West :

If the pcm isn't grounding the relay it will not turn over.

Tim West :

If all is good, check for power at the starter itself. Should have power on the red wire all times and power at the yellow/light blue wire in crank.

Tim West :

If there is power getting to the starter try hitting the starter.

Tim West :

If still nothing replace the starter.

JACUSTOMER-4ok3hs9w- :

I will check it out and let you know.....

Tim West :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-4ok3hs9w- :

what happened to your answer.....I don't see it anymore....doesn't it get saved?

Tim West :

It should be saved.

Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
can you see it now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes thanks.....This will be difficult to check....since it doesn't do it all the time and when it does exhibit it you can be in the middle of troubleshooting turn the key and it will start...then it is days before it does it again... I have ruled out the fuse....it has never blown. I will let you know....