Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 20+ Years
28939717

My Ford F150 will not start unless I bypass the ignition switch,

My Ford F150 will not start unless I bypass the ignition switch, turn on the key and go directly to the cylnoid and then it will start. Can you tell me what the problem might be.

Linda
Category: Ford
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

you need a test light or meter to check for power on the RED/LIGHT BLUE wire going to the solenoid (while holding the key to CRANK)

if no POWER AT THE RED/LIGHT BLUE at the solenoid while holding key to crank then check for power at the RED/LIGHT BLUE coming out of the ignition switch (electrical switch)

if you have no power coming out of the ignition switch on the RED/LIGHT BLUE but have power coming into the ignition switch at the YELLOW wires replace the IGNITION SWITCH ELECTRICAL SWITCH

if you do have power coming out of the ignition switch on the RED/LIGHT BLUE while holding key to crank you need to check the NUETRAL SAFETY SWITCH (Automatic) or CLUTCH SWITCH (Manual)

click here to view the diagram of the starting circuit

let me know what you find and if you need more help

Paul