Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

my friend has a 2005 ford 500. she is having starting problems.

my friend has a 2005 ford 500. she is having starting problems. Sometimes it starts sometimes it wont. (meaning it wont crank or anything). she put in a new battery a few months ago. is this a starter problem? can just the selenoid be replaced and if so where is it located on this car? also if the entire starter needs to be replaced ... can it be done by a home mechanic? (or does it require some intense prep work to get at the starter like removing the engine)
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.

Ron :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The place to start would be to see if you have 12 volts at the stater solenoid (small crank wire) mounted on the starter when cranking and it dosnt start. If so then yes the starter is faulty. Would you like starter replacement instructions if it turns out to be the starter?

Ron :

I will need to know which transmission you have as well.

Customer :

yes please she has an automatic trans ..... how hard is it to do?

Ron :

The starter is not to bad at all to replace.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer :

it appears that its located on top of the motor.. is that true?

Customer :

should I try just replacing the selenoid? or just replace the entire thing?

Ron :

It on the drivers side of the engine at the transmission.

Full Size Image

Ron :

No if the starter is bad the starter is replaced as an assembly and comes with the solenoid.

Customer :

oh ok.. great! and it is easy to get at? I know these cars have no room to work on them anymore.

Customer :

(I promise last question haha)

Ron :

There not to bad to get at, they only call for .8 of one hour to change. Just be sure to remove the positive battery cable before you do it.

Customer :

thanks a lot for your help.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs