Tom P.
Tom P., Ford Master Technician
Experience:  20+ years as a Ford Tech, ASE Master, Ford Master, Advance Engine Performance, Technical Instructor

how do i reset my anti theft ignition in a 2000 ford windstar

Category: Ford
Expert:  Tom P. replied 6 years ago.
Good Morning, I'm Tom and I will try to help you today. Is the anti-theft light red or green? That model year could have come with two different systems. Also do you know if this is a factory installed system (it came with it in it when it was built) or something that may have been put in after the vehicle was purchased? I will monitor this question and get right back to you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tom, anti theft light is red and came with the car. i have 4 sets of keys with the chips in them. I think i used an old set and ignition locked up.
Expert:  Tom P. replied 6 years ago.
OK. Great, that's what I wanted to hear. That is the PATS (passive anti-theft system). I am assuming that the red light is flashing rapidly (two times a second) indicating that an improper key was used or that there is a problem with system. If you used an older, unprogrammed key, it will lock the system but only for a few minutes. It should automatically reset. I did have some problems with these early systems locking up. I want you to disconnect the battery for at least 45 minutes. Then take a know good key and see if it works. When you turn the key to the on position it should light up solid for about five seconds if it is recognized. If this works we will need two good keys to program the ones that are not programmed. If you don't know what keys are programmed then it may take you a while to figure this out by this trial and error procedure. Bad keys equal rapidly flashing light and good keys the light is on solid for about five seconds. If you can prove that you have two good keys the programming procedure is pretty simple. Take the two good keys and one unprogrammed key. Put a good key in the ignition and turn to on for five seconds, do this again with the next good key, and then with the unprogrammed key. That should program the key. I hope this helps and don't hesitate to ASK additional questions by hitting the ASK button. I will monitor this question throughout the day and get back to you asap.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i will try and get back to you.
Expert:  Tom P. replied 6 years ago.
OK. I will monitor this question throughout the day and get back to you ASAP.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tom, i disconnected the battery and did everthing you suggeated with no luck. do i have any other optons.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tom, any other remedies ?
Expert:  Tom P. replied 6 years ago.
OK. At this point we can assume that there is a fault in the PATS system. The most likely cause is that the transponder is not working. I can count on one hand the number of times that it was something more then that. Sometimes the wires leading to the transponder become broken or worn when the vehicle has a tilt column that is used frequently. The transponder is the device that excites the key and receives it's signal. It is located around the key lock cylinder. You can remove the steering column trim and take a look or if you are feeling up to it put a transponder in it on a guess but I would think that you should have it towed in and looked at. Anytime you start guessing on a repair it winds up costing you more money. Hope this helps and have a great day.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks for your time.