John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles
33610027

2007 Expedition: Im replacing the front brake pads..4WD...caliper

Customer Question

I'm replacing the front brake pads on a 2007 Expedition EL 4WD. I need to know the size of the hex pold that is holding the caliper on. I have wrenches up to 10mm, but that is too small.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Crouch replied 6 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will answer your question. the 2 bolts that hold the caliper adapter to the spindle are 18mm. the 2 pins that hold the caliper to the adapter are 8mm allen wrench size
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried 8mm, but it didn't seem to fit. I'll try again. Thanks.
It will either be 8mm or 7mm.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nope, 7 and 8 are too small, 10 is too big, I was wrong when I said 10 is also too samll. I removed the adapter so I could see and 7, 8 and 10 don't work.
I am sorry, shop manual was wrong, the 2 bolts that come out of the caliper that are covered with the plastic caps are not allen socket bolts, they are what is called "torx" bolts. You will need a torx socket to remove them Pretty sure it is a #40 or 45 that fits it. You can get a set of them for about $10 from advanced auto parts or auto zone.