Mat
Mat, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  11 yrs at FLM Dealer, Senior Master Tech 05-present, ASE Master tech, Auto trans & Diesel
49638932

Ford f250 diesel 2006.

Ford f250 diesel 2006. engines turns over but won't start
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mat replied 4 years ago.
Hi I'm a ford senior master technician and I would like to help you with your concern. It sounds like your 6.0L diesel is having a fuel concern. Have you hooked up a diesel approved scan tool to retrieve dtc's yet? If there are codes stored we will need to know what they are as they may help us out. There are two common things that the 6.0L diesels were common for. First is the ficm. Fuel Injector Control module. This module has an internal dc to dc converter that takes battery voltage ion and converts it to 48 volts out to fire the injectors, when the ficm fails it wont convert any voltage and 12 volts to the injectors results in a no start concern. Next the fuel injectors are actuated by high pressure oil in order to open the injector for fuel spray. There is 2 oil pumps in this engine and the low pressure is just your normal base engine oil pump while the high pressure oil pump needs to make 500psi before the ficm commands the injectors to fire. If there is a leak in the high pressure oil system the truck wont reach the 500 psi minimum and it wont start because it wont get fuel. Commonly on the 2005 and early 2006 6.0L diesels the stc (snap to connect) fitting on the high pressure oil pump will break and cause no high pressure oil, it all just leaks back into the pan. This is why codes are important, they will at least tell us if we have a ficm issue or a high pressure oil issue. The high pressure oil system regulates the pressure through and IPR valve which is also know to get stuck and not start, usually is found with a damaged screen on it.These trucks also have a 5year 100k warranty on the engine. If your unsure if your covered by the warranty you can send me the vin and mileage and I would be glad to check. These engines require multiple special tools and can be very tricky to diagnose if your unfamiliar with these engines. Most of the high pressure oil components like the pump, stc fitting, ipr valve are all located under the turbo in the rear of the engine. If you pull codes and decide you are going to diagnose and repair this yourself I can walk you through some diag steps, but it will be tricky without the special tools, for example you cant even check fuel pressure without the special tool and there would be no way to monitor the ICP to see if its getting the 500 psi min.I dont recommend throwing any parts at it because here at the dealer we see many trucks get towed in from outside shops that spend hundreds and even thousands into before they give up. We can diag and fix them fast at my dealer, sometimes it takes something as little as an o-ring on the high pressure oil rail to cause a no start. If you have any other questions or get codes just ask. Please remember to click the accept button as it is the only way I can receive credit for my time and answer. Thanks and Good Luck
Mat, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience: 11 yrs at FLM Dealer, Senior Master Tech 05-present, ASE Master tech, Auto trans & Diesel