John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles

I have a 1999 Class A motorhome with a Ford V10 engine and

I have a 1999 Class A motorhome with a Ford V10 engine and a F53 chassis. Over the last 1000 miles I am having a noticable loss of power and 300 miles ago the "Service Engine Soon" light appeared on the instrument panel. I have noticed a lope at idle after the choke goies off and some induction noise when the trottle is depressed while moving. The problem appears worse at highter RPM's. The motorhome will bearly keep up 60 MPH on the level at near sea level (500 feet elevation) while NOT towing a car. I am having a hard time finding a Ford dealer to find and fix this issue, but did have one non-Ford shop change the fuel filter to no avail. It has been suggested that I may be having a problem with the throttle position sensor; We did have to keep the throttle wide open most of the time across the hills of Kansas on Interstate 70. Any help you can give me would be helpful; we're now in the Baltimore MD. area.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Crouch replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX will answer your quesiton. Any Ford Dealer should be able to work on the engine managment system on your RV. Its usually a matter of them having the room to work on it (most shops dont have a large bay for RV's) Bob Bell, In Glenn Burnie, MD used to service them, not sure if they still do.

First I would pull the codes and see what code is stored and follow pinpoint tests for it. I have seen fuel pump issues and also seen a few of the rv's the lines were pinched above the fuel tank and it restricted the fuel flow and caused a lack of power. Unless there is a mechanical concern, Most likely the lack of power is either caused by intake restriction, exhaust restriction or fuel pressure being reduced.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have learned from multiple sources that the problem my be the throttle position sensor; apparently a problem on Ford V10's. I have found a replair shop (non-Ford) that will look at the problem. I assume they have the code reader, and, yes, it should point to the problem. Are there codes / sensors that will indicate a throttle position sensor problem?

Yes if the thrtottle position sensor is bad it will set a code.