Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 1999 Ford F350 Triton V10 and someone just told me

I have a 1999 Ford F350 Triton V10 and someone just told me that all the Tritons have a problem with the spark plug.
They said they pop out because it only has 3 threads and can only take 7lbs of torque.
Can anyone tell me if this is true for all Triton engines and what can I do to be proactive or fix the problem?

Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Unfortunately this is correct and the fix is to rethread the cylinder head if the spark plug does pop out. The trick is in most cases is to not run the spark 100,000 miles and to change then out much sooner (50,000) . Ford has released a TSB that deals with this issues if it happens to you.

JACUSTOMER-3ssuc5jt- :

I'm not sure if I'm reading your message correctly. Are you saying you recommend changing the spark plugs and fixing this problem before the truck hits 50k miles?

JACUSTOMER-3ssuc5jt- :

I just purchased the truck. Anyway I can check to see if it's already been fixed?

Ron :

No, I am saying Ford say the spark plugs are good till 100,000k, I am saying if you change them more frequently such as every 50,000 miles. This allow you to have less chance of the plugs blowing out. There is no need to do any repairs unless you actuall do loose one, not all 6.8 blow the plugs out.

JACUSTOMER-3ssuc5jt- :

ok thanks....last you have any recommendations on what to torque them at

Ford calls for 6 to 14Ft lbs, I would go right at 12FT lbs.
If you have found my answer helpful, please be sure to hit the accept button so that I can get credit for my work.