Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Will a fuel pump work intermittently or do they just stop working?

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Richard :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Richard :

Yes the pumps can stop working intermittently especially when hot. Once they cool don they will start to work. They can also cayse stalling and/or starting problems.

Customer:

Hi Richard

Richard :

If you tell me the problem you are having right know I should be able to be more specific.

Richard :

Richard :

Customer:

the truck started then stalled took awhile to get restarted changed fuel filter, truck started then stalled,waited 10 min now runs ok. how can i check the pump,to make sure that it is ok dont want the wife calling in the am

Customer:

is there an ohm reading or psi check that can trouble shoot the pump without removing the full gas tank

Richard :

You will need to install a fuel pressure gage to the rail and verify the fuel pressure. This will tell us if this is a pump problem.

Customer:

ok what is the correct fuel psi

Richard :

You should see between 30-40 psi.

Customer:

does the pump constantly run or does it turn off at a set psi

Customer:

thank you richard for all you help,looks like its going to be a long day for me,have a good night and thank you

Richard :

It constantly runs as there is a return line that sends the fuel back to the tank.

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
You are very welcome. Thanks for using justanswer.com.