freddie at 23
freddie at 23, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have been working at a ford dealer for 22 yrs specializing in electrical and transmission problems
10705790

I have a 99 Ford Taurus 3.0L 24 valve Duratec enigne that has

Customer Question

I have a 99 Ford Taurus 3.0L 24 valve Duratec enigne that has a sporadic misfire. Change the coil pack but still sporadic misfire. Change the spark Plugs and wires.    Anybody have an ideas how to fix?  Also change one of the O2 Sensors and fuel filter. Ron
Category: Ford
Expert:  freddie at 23 replied 4 years ago.
HI MY NAME ISXXXXX TRY TO HELP YOU. THERE ARE A FEW POSSIBILITIES FIRST WAS THER ANY OIL ON THE WIRES IN THE SPARK PLUG HEAD BORES, WHEN YOU CHANGED THEM. IF YOU DONT REMEMBER RECHECK A COMMON FAILURE IS THE VALVE COVER GASKETS LEAKING OIL INTO THE SPARK PLUG BORES. SECOND YOU COULD HAVE CARBON BUILD UP ON THE VALVES THIS WOULD GIVE YOU A LIGHT INTERMITTENT MISFIRE WE CAN ADRESS THIS AFTER WE DETERMINE THERE IS NO OIL ON THE PLUG WIRES ALSO EGR VALVE COULD BE AN ISSUE AND WORSE CASE A BAD HEAD UNFORTUNATLY SOMEWHAT COMMON IF YOU WANT TO SEND THE VIN I CAN RUN ALL KNOWN ISSUES THROUGH THE FORD WEBSITE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did have an engine code one day for a misfire on #4 cylinder and I know that Spark Plug bore didn't have any oil in the hole. My Vin #IEMFM3S2XG614430.

YOUR VIN IS A INVALID LENGTH IF YOU CAN DOUBLE CHECK I WILL RUN IT AGAIN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Fredrick

The earlier email had this Vin #IEMFM3S2XG614430. This is my sons car and I ha called him again and he gave me the same Vin. I am wondering if the Vin# XXXXX be Vin #IEMFM352XG614430. I am turning in for the night have been up for 21 hours.

USUALLY THE VIN FOR THIS CAR WILL START WITH 1FM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Fredrick

Here is the right VIN #1MEFM53S2XG614430 My son must of been using his lighter to read the number last night. Sorry

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have sent some info over 9 hours ago and haven't heard anything back. I would like to move my problem to a higher priority.

certainly sorry for the inconveince
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did check the Spark plug holes and there is no oil in the holes. Tonite when I was trying to get the engine to fault and it was running in the garage at times I could here the car missing and then it would stop, I thru on a spark indicator on the spark plug wire but it wouldn't do it at that time. I did have a service engine light that indicated a misfire on #4 cylinder, and before I got the code I had swapped the spark plug wires from #4 and #5 and it still indicated #4 with the misfire.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Freddie

Did you ever run the Vin # XXXXX see what kind of problems I have with my car.

the last time we spoke you asked tomove your problem to a higher priority. so i assumed you wanted to work with someone else, at that point i opted out to allow you that option.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Freddie

I didn't know how to change the priority and thought you were my contact. I am not satisfied with any answers as of yet. I will be gone till Thursday so will not here from me till then.

I RAN YOUR VIN NUMBER THERE WAS NO HELPFUL INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR VEHICLE.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I really didn't get a solution to my problem. I will talk to a couple of local mechanics.

Thanks

OK SORRY I COULDNT HELP MORE