Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

2002 ford Explorer: my service engine soon light just came on.

my service engine soon light just came on. (very very very wet day here in the north east) 2002 ford Explorer with about 66thousand miles. What should we do and is it serious? thanks
Chat Conversation Started
Tim West :

Thanks for visiting Just Answer, the first thing you need to do it either let the vehicle dry out and check it later to see if it clears up once it dries out. OR go ahead and have the codes scanned. Most auto parts store will do this free. If you can get the vehicle scanned and bring back the codes that are stored I can provide more info.

JACUSTOMER-wdardf31- :

going to try to get it scanned

JACUSTOMER-wdardf31- :

is there a way to bring this back to you directly when I know something or do I just go back into this program for another 15 bucks? (I'm willing to do that if I have to)

Tim West :

Yes

Tim West :

You can bookmark this page

Tim West :

Or write down the URL

Tim West :

You are able to access this page again even after you hit accept

Tim West :

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/423m1-my-service-engine-soon-light-just-came-on-very-very-very

Tim West :

that is the url

JACUSTOMER-wdardf31- :

thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Tim, the codes (2 of 'em) say 1.) ignition fault - wires, plugs, coils, etc and 2.) crank angle position sensor. Does this sound like it's caused by the rain storm?

Yea, more than likely what are the numbers?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

codes were PO304 and PO316

Yea, you are having a misfire, how is the vehicle driving? Let it dry out a good day or so and recheck for the problem. If the problem remains, swap the number 4 coil with another coil and see if the misfire follows it. If the misfire moves to the other cylinder, replace the bad coil on plug.
Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It does make sense. I can't hear a misfire right now but my wife said it was running rough from time to time as she was bringing it home. How does Ford count the cylinders? i.e. which one is considered #4? Is it front or rear? left or right as we look down on the engine from the front?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Perfect. A million thanks. I'll let it dry over night and into tomorrow then try swapping coil packs. Have a great weekend
You too, good luck, get back to me if you need any more help.