Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist

2000 windstar: front pump seal..transmission..i changed the seal

front pump seal on my 2000 windstar transmission was leaking. i changed the seal ' and it is still leaking. what did i do wrong?
Chat Conversation Started
Tracer :

Hello, if you were comfortable with the seal install and lubricated the seal prior to installing the converter, then you may have one of a couple things happening. Either you thought it was front seal but actually the pump cover seal is leaking. BOTH will look like front cover seal leak. You could have a worn front hub on converter and its not making good seal to new seal, this would require a new converter. Lastly, there could be a problem with worn out front pump bushings allowing the converter to kind of float around and not make good seal. Since seal is new and same leak occurs, I am leaning more to outer pump seal or worn pump bushings. This is only true if the sealing surface of the converter was real smooth and NO grooves in it