Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

1999 ford expedition: coil pack..spark plugs..misfire..test drive

Customer Question

i have replced the coil pack on #4 cylinder and all the spark plugs on 1999 ford expidition with a 5.4 the original code was for engine misfire number 4 cylinder. started unit up it ran ruff. took unit for test drive. code came back p0354, switch coil pack 1 and 4 cleared codes, ran unit for a while code came back p0354. need to know how to diag from this point on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, just to make sure, #4 is the rear most sparkplug on the passenger side. Is this the coil you replaced? Also, do you have a test light? Thanks

Customer :

yes this is the coil i replaced. i have a test light logic probe and multimeter

Dieseljunky2 :

With the engine running, you will need to check for power and a pulsed ground signal on the coil connector for cylinder 4. I need to know if either of these signals is missing. The ign/ run wire should have 12 volts and the other terminal should have a pulsed ground signal. Let me know which you have or don't have. Thanks

Dieseljunky2 :

Full Size Image

Customer :

i'm confused i ground one end of the testlight one wire terminal should pulse and the stay steady one test light.

Dieseljunky2 :

Place the ground clamp onthe negative battery post and check for power with the probe on the ign/run wire. The light should stay on steady. Then put the ground clamp of the test light on the positive battery post. The place the probe on the other wire in the connector with the engine running, the light should have a constant flicker and appear dimmer than the other wire light.

Customer :

the cd wire is not lighting up test light ignition light is lighting up.

Customer :

sorry about the delay in time terminal is hard to access.

Dieseljunky2 :

Ok, make sure the clamp is on the positive battery cable when making the test on the CD wire. If it was then check for the pulsing on pin 53 in the computer connector. I have enclosed a picture of the coil wiring to the computer. If htere is no pulse from the computer then the computer has failed. If it has pulse at the computer connector, then the wire is broken and will have to be traced to find the broken spot.

Full Size Image

Customer :

your going to have to tell me what conector, pin number and and were is the module located at i cannot read schimatic. thanks

Customer :

is the module located under the hvac unit.

Customer :

hey are you still there, please

Customer :

i taket the wire i'm looking 4 is 53 dark grey and white. having hard time reading schematic.

Customer :

repaired my test light, back probed 53 test light is very dim. checked at co wire at coil terminal. test light is very dim. checked test light on battery light shines bright.

Customer :

is there another return wire that i can check on the pcm to see if the light shines bright to see maybe we have a bad driver in the pcm.

Customer :

the pulse co wire is firing. the battery ignition wire is dead. 53 terminal at pcm is firing too. need help.

Customer :

i think you went to bed please i'll try in am

Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 4 years ago.
There is a common problem with antifreeze leaking from the heater core connection above coil # XXXXX and causing this issue.Please click on the accept button if you are completely satisfied with my answer bonuses are greatly appreciated.
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience: MasterCertified Technician with 30 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
Are you completely satisfied with my answer, please click accept button
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is the correction, replacing the terminal end or what under stand the complaint engine code p0354.
On the diagram I sent you, you can check any of the coil wires that are shown going into the pcm. They should all have the same dim light, if the others are the same, it would indicate that the pcm may have a bad driver. You could double check this by switching the new coil into another cylinder and seeing if the code changes. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this is what i have, turned the ignition on, checked the battery side of the connector, i have 11.7 volts, battery voltage was 11.9 volts. started engine, unit has a flashing light on co wire. had already exchanged number front right with rear number 4 coil code did not follow cleared codes and p0354 came back.
Is the misfire constant or does it come and go?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is constant.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i do not have a test terminal to see if sockets are spread

Do you still have the old spark plugs and coil?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes.
Are you wanting to work with the other tech that cut in with his nonsense? You accepted his answer, I will not get any credit for this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey i hit the accept button on acident, i have no problem working with you
Put the old coil and plug it into the wire harness for cyl 4. Then insert a plug into the coil and make sure the plug is grounded to the engine or a valve cover bolt. Start the engine and see if the coil is firing. If it is firing, then the computer ios giving a false code due to internal fault.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

plugged old coil and spark plug in no spark. plugged old plug and coil into front right hole, it fired on front but not number 4.

Plug your test light into the two wires of the connector on cylinder 4 and see if it will flash. If it flashes, then the computer is failed, not enough current flowing through the driver, and not firing the coil.
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

checked number 4 and front on passinger side both were flashing the same amount, used a test spade terminal on 4 and front right side found number 4 sockets on connector spread. checked then the other night did not think about comparing it to anouther. what do you thing or a plan to replace.

When you squeezed the connectors back closed, did the cylinder start to fire?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do you squeeze the connectors back together.
With a small pick or if the tip of your test light is small enough, you can bend the metal in the connector closer together for a better fit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey i removed the yellow locking tabs the sockets are realy spread bad and very coroted. need to know how to replace sockets or just get a known good connector from a wrecker and solder end in.
The connector is available new from the auto parts. Just splice in the new one by holding the connectors side by side and cutting only one wire at a time. that way you can make sure the wires are on the correct sides. If you cross the wires, it will not fire the coil.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you it is my uncle suv, and i will get some extra money for a tip if it doesn't work i will talk to you again give me a day to perform the repair do not close this accout till i pay you, the terminals make since because this code came active after coil was replaced and connection was disturebed would like if this made since to you. will talk to you ya or na thanks for you paciance and would like to use you again.
Yes, the disturbing of the coil would possibly cause this. You can put my name at the start of your question, and it should get sent to me directly. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'M CLEANING UP SOME OLD ACCOUNTS I WOULD LIKE TO ACCEPT THIS ANWSER.
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX already done.