Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

im trying to remove gas tank from a 1996 explorer, how do i

im trying to remove gas tank from a 1996 explorer, how do i get the filler hose off at tank conection i can see plastic at the back of fitting
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to try and assist your with your question.

There is a quick connect that has to be released by pulling it out as per this diagram I have sent. Both the breather and the fill hose are released this way.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Edited by Ron on 9/28/2010 at 6:46 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you are telling me all i have to do is pull on these lines and they will come off . dont have to use a special tool to release them
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
No look at the diagram, there are clips you have to pull out and then they will release. The first picture shows locked and unlocked, you need to unlock the clips.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do i get clips losether is only 1/4 in. of space there
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
You are going to have to remove the straps and lower the tank down for clearence. It can not be done with out lowering the tank.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
tank is already lowerd
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.

Have you released the filler from the body?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
You are going to have to get the filler lines off now to go lower, its a very tight fit but it can be done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i can see the fitiings throgh the wheel well and just below the frame do i have to go lower than that
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
You have to get it as low as possiable for clearence, its very tight.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i see that, when i get low enough how do i get the clips to release
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Place a screw driver in them and pry them out as per the diagram.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok iwill try that will i need to ge new clips to reinstall fittings
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
If you are careful and they are not to old and brittle, you may be ok. You have to be very careful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i will try, iwill get back to you whe n iget tank out thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Your very welcome, best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi ron what you told me worked very well thank you for your help JIM
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Your very welcome...Great Job...Thank you as well!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
by the way just you know i am 71 yrs old couldent have done it with out your infeed
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
It was my pleasure to be able to help you.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs