Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

2004 Ford Explorer: cant shift..drive to park..interlock..pin

Hi.

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer 4.6. I sometimes can't shift from drive to park. I was told that this may be due to a time delay with the brake shift interlock (BSI) pin retraction. I believed this to be true because the brake lights were also not working.

I checked the fuses and they all seemed to be good. So I replaced the BSI according to TSB 04-22-12. As I had the steering column shroud removed I could see that the old BSI wasn't responding. I could also see that the new one DID respond as soon as I installed it, as well as the brake lights. I tested it a couple of times after putting everything back together again and all seemed right.

I then went to wash the car, and after I was finished the old problem returned. Could it be something else, or a faulty BSI maybe?

Thanks,
PM
Chat Conversation Started
Vladgmru :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX sounds that you have a faulty brake stoplamp switch that works intermittently. Your shift interlock system won't allow you to shift the transmission from PARK when your brake lights do not work. Disconnect the brake light switch connector and jumper two terminals together= your brake lamps should work and you should be able to shift it at this moment. Just replace the brake switch ( check also if the connector has any signs of burnouts or melting and replace it as well if it does )

Customer:

Hi Vladgmru,

Customer:

Where is the brake light switch connector located?

Vladgmru :

Sorry for the delay, I had my breakfast( it is early morning here in AU). You will find the brake light switch at the brake pedal and you will see a wiring harness that is connected to the switch.

Customer:

Welcome back. :)

Customer:

Is is connected to the pedal, or on the wall behind it?

Vladgmru :

The switch is connected to the brake pedal and booster rod. Position #4 at the picture below.

Full Size Image

Vladgmru :

Do you need more info at this moment, because I am going to leave ( have to go to work)?

Vladgmru :

Just reply if you need more assistance and will come back to this thread later.

Customer:

I just tried it...are you still there?

Customer:

The brakes lights stayed on even thought the brake was not pressed..and the wire I used as a jumper got warm - but I was able to easily shift into DRIVE.

Customer:

So it seems I should just replace the brake stoplamp switch? What about the BSI?

Customer:

Should I just return that? It was $130.00!

Vladgmru :

Hi, I asked you to jumper these two wires just for diagnostic purposes. You shouldn't have driven the car with the jumper installed. Anyway, your brake-stoplamp switch is faulty and has to be replaced. I suppose the BSI is OK and you should return the hew part it if you are still allowed to do so and install the original one back.

Vladgmru :

Kind regards, Vlad.

Customer:

Hi, sorry if I was unclear - I understood the jumper was just for diagnostic purposes and drive the car at all. I just wanted to see if I could actually shift into drive.Thanks for your help!

Customer:

I will definitely like to call on you again (if and when needed), and thankfully add to your 100% rating.

Customer:

Kind regards, Paul