A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

1999 ford f150: tail lights..lights work..all fuses and wiring..relays

Customer Question

1999 ford f150 with no tail lights all other lights work including traler lights have checked all fuses and wiring at the rear , switched out two relays checked the head light switch and have power out on two wires and still no power to the rear tail lights any answers?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

I just want a little clarification. You have no rear parking lights, or no brake lights or turn signals?

Edited by APenland on 9/21/2010 at 12:57 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No park lights , turn and brake lights are working ok

You may have a poor connection near the rear of the truck under the rear bumper on the drivers side. The front parking lights are on the same circuit as the rear. Disconnect the connector under the bumper on the drivers side an check for any loose pins and clean out any corrosion. Check for power with the parking lights turned on on the BROWN wire in the connector. That wire is for the parking light circuit.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took these two connectors appeared to be ok and checked to see if there was power on the brown wires coming into the front connector but only seems to be one brown wire with power on it for the traler lights is there a problem spot that breaks a wire in the loom or harness.Or is ther only supposts to one brown with power at the back.

Below is the connector. Make sure you have power on the brown wire circled.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Also check and see if the tag lights work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
could you send me the whole wiring diagram including light switch?

Below are the diagrams for the lights.

CLICK HERE
CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just do not think that my question was understood and that a answer was jumped to before reading the information. I asked about the number of brown wires and trailer wires and that I had power up to the front connector at the rear of the truck and you sent me to the rear connector which i told you looked ok. So I feel that my question was not answered and was not given any more information then I had .Thanks Phil

This is where most of the electrical problems with tail lights occur. This connector is the most susceptible to water and the elements.

This is the connector where the tail lights on the bed of the truck join the main harness on the frame.

This is where we always start when you only have problems with the rear tail lights, turn signals and brake lights.

That is why I started there.

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
If you need more help with the problem, let me know. We can talk back and forth till your problem is fixed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found a broken wire forward of the spare tire and above the rear axle in the frame channel inside the harness . Looked to have been worked on previously.

Ok. Thank you for the update.

I do apologize for my answer sounding the way it did, it was not intended to be that way.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We cool.
Thank You.