Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.

Brian,I have a 93 E150 blinking an airbag code 44..pass side..module

Brian,

I have a 93 E150 blinking an airbag code 44. I took the pass side module off the frame, cleaned and remounted. Still blinks the code. What should I do next.

Check engine light came on. I hooked up a test light. The light almost goes out then the light blinks 7 long blinks, 3 short, 3 short, 2 short, 3 short, 3 short, 2 short. How do I read the blink codes and what does this sequence mean?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

click on blue link above for air bag diag

Steve :

On the check engine light see if you can get a scanner and retrieve the code

Steve :

the code looks like 332

Steve :

332Insufficient EGR flow detected
Steve :

check vacuum line to egr valve and make sure egr valve opens with vacuum

Customer :

Steve,

Customer :

Your answer lead me to a loose vacuum line that goes to a plastic box mounted inside the engine compartment above and on the front part of the wheel well. One problem solved.

Customer :

I removed the passenger side sensor and cleaned the module and associated hardware. I'm sure it's getting a good ground to the frame. The wires disappear into the frame from the sensor. Where is the connection located? What part number is XXXXX module? Would I be better off just replacing it?

Steve :

hi

Steve :

Right SideF4UZ14B004B$168.43
Steve :

did you click on the blue link above and follow the pinpoint test?

Steve :

The pinpoint test does not have you replacing the sensor

Steve :

click on the blue links above follow the pinpoint test for code 44 and attached is a wring diagram

Customer :

Steve,

Customer :

I was thinking the place to do the test was at the connection. I guess I could penetrate the insulation with the probe. Do you have the part number handy for the module?

Customer :

It bulletin mentions pins. Which pins are they referring to and where is it located?

Steve :

hi

Steve :

Right SideF4UZ14B004B$168.43
Steve :

you are talking the air bag module?

Steve :

make the test at the air bag module connector

Customer :

Where is the airbag module connector located?

Customer :

Where does one access the module connection to change it out? It goes into the frame.

Steve :

hang on I will try to find a pics

Steve :

above is moudale

Steve :

crash sensor will be below

Steve :

Locate diagnostic monitor beneath and to the left of the steering column and disconnect the two connectors

Steve :

still there?

Customer :

I'm back

Customer :

The diagram shows the sensor in the cowl area. Mine appears to be on the right frame rail.

Steve :

ok get the info above?

Steve :

Steve :

Remove right cowl side trim panel this is the sensor

Customer :

I should make my readings at the monitor connector for the sensor and if I get something other than 2.0 ohms it's either resistance in the connection at the end of the sensor pig tail or the sensor needs replacing from what I'm thinking.

Steve :

You are basically checking the ground through the sensor

Customer :

I may be looking at the wrong sensor. The cowl side trim panel is inside the car to the right of where your feet go?

Steve :

yes on the passenger side

Steve :

If the resistance is ok replace the diagnostic module

Steve :

If the resistance is high you have a bad sensor ground

Steve :

crash sensor ground

Customer :

I don't think there's anything else you can add. Thanks for your help.

Steve, Ford Technician
Experience: 25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.