Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

Starter keeps cranking after car is running

starter keeps cranking after car is running
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Shawn :

Hi, Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today with your question.

Customer :

Hi I am Mike

Shawn :

Hi Mike, the most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective starter relay, which is causing the starter to remain engaged.

Customer :

I have replaced that

Customer :

sorry about not telling you initialy

Shawn :

That is ok.

Shawn :

Here is the system wiring diagram

Full Size Image

Shawn :

• Starter Motor Remains Engaged and Runs with Engine

• Battery cable touching S terminal (worn or mispositioned cable).

• REPLACE or RELOCATE cable and REPLACE starter.

• Inoperative starter motor .

• REPLACE starter motor . SEE removal and installation procedure in this section.

• Starter relay remains engaged.

• REFER to Pinpoint Test B .

Customer :

The diagram did not come through. is there a place in the started cabling taht may be shorting the starter to be on. My bother said that their maybe a hard ware problem involving the ignition module

Shawn :

PINPOINT TEST B: CHECK FENDER APRON RELAY

B1 CHECK FENDER APRON RELAY

• Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL (automatic transmission), or clutch pedal fully depressed (manual transmission). Key in START.

• Is relay housing ground OK?

Yes
GO to B2.

No
REPAIR ground. GO to B2 .

B2 CHECK VOLTAGE AT FENDER APRON RELAY START TERMINAL

• Check for voltage between fender apron relay start terminal and relay housing ground.

• Is voltage OK? (12-12.45V)

Yes
GO to B3 .

No
Open circuit or high resistance exists in external circuit wiring or components. CHECK the following:

• All circuit connections including plastic hard-shell connector at S terminal on starter solenoid to make sure it is not broken or distorted.

• Ignition switch.

• Park/neutral position switch or clutch pedal position switch .

• Anti-theft contact.

B3 CHECK OUTPUT TERMINAL VOLTAGE

• Check for voltage at output terminal of fender relay.

• Is voltage OK?

Yes
REFER to Symptom Chart in this section.

No
Worn or damaged fender apron relay. REMOVE and REPLACE relay.

Customer :

my daughter would leave the key in the run position

Shawn :

If anything you may have a defective ignition switch.

Customer :

You mean the module or the mechanical portion that holds the key

Customer :

I received the diagram thank you

Shawn :

Not the key and tumbler , but the actual ignition switch, inside the steering column. If you need replacement instructions I can send them for you.

Customer :

I is this what the ignition module attaches to

Customer :

could you send the instruction anyway. thank you

Shawn :

Ignition Switch

Ranger

1. Disconnect battery negative cable.Remove attaching screws (2) and instrument panel steering column cover.

2. Remove attaching screws (4) and instrument panel reinforcement plate.

3. If equipped with an automatic transmission, remove PRND12 indicator cable attaching screw.

4. Remove steering column to brake pedal support bracket attaching screws (2).

5. Lower column until steering wheel rests on driver's seat.

6. Remove ignition switch attaching screws.

7. Disconnect wiring and remove ignition switch.

To install ignition switch, reverse removal procedure.

Customer :

I have already done this

Customer :

no I did not. I will have to try this. I just replaced the ignation module. which does not need the steering colum to be droped

Shawn :

Ok, you were starting to scare me.

Customer :

This is a diagram i have not seen. I am not shure about the Ignition switch . This is as hard as walking someone through fixing a computer over the phone.

Shawn :

I understand completely.

Shawn :

The diagram is of the steering column without the plastic

Customer :

I will try this tomorrow. Thank you. how would I get a hold of you to let you know if it worked or not.

Customer :

does the Ignition switch have a moveable bayonet type lug on the top that alligns with the mechical portion of the key housing

Shawn :

You can respond back as you have been, and Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work, thanks. If it didn't work let me know.

Shawn :

Yes it slides back and forth

Shawn :

Ignition Switch, Blade Type

The ignition switch (11572) has blade-type terminals that engage with one multiple connector. The multiple connector is secured to the ignition switch by integral locking fingers.

The lock cylinder positions are ACC, LOCK, OFF, RUN and START. With column shift automatic transmissions, the lock cylinder key can be removed from the lock cylinder only when the shift lever is in PARK position and the key is in LOCK position. The ACC position operates while the steering and transmission systems remain locked. Turning the key to OFF position shuts off the engine without locking the steering or transmission systems.

Customer :

I have replace it already.

Shawn :

Here is a picture what the ignition switch looks like

Customer :

Yes I replaced that. I may have just made a mistake when I repaired the ground cable.With the information you gave me It will be a lot easier to find out what I did wrong.

Shawn :

Ok great! Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work, thanks. If it didn't work let me know.

Customer :

I have to leave. because my grand kids need to come home from the dance. I will let you know what the results are. Thank You again. You have been very helpful. I will gladly accept.

Shawn :

Awesome, and thank you very much!

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas