david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

2001 hyundai tiburon: overheating..coolant and my fans..cooling system

i have a 2001 hyundai tiburon 2.0L engine 5 spd and i have an overheating issue... the vehicle is fine going down roads at any speed but after a few trips if i idle too long the coolling needle goes up and gets into the red... the first time it happened i didnt realize it and went to start up and it wouldnt sustain combustion or even turn over... but after it cooled down it was fine for two days then again idled too long and it crept up again... i have very minimal loss of coolant and my fans kick on... but without completely tearing down the cooling system i can't figure out what it is.... this has put me at wits end can any one help me
Chat Conversation Started
david :

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

david :

In most cases this problem is related to the cooling fans 1 not coming on do the the fans being bad 2 the temp sensor not sending the right temp to the ECM 3 one of the cooling fan relays if bad.

Customer:

however the fans do come on

david :

But as you say the fans are coming on.

Customer:

and they come on about half way up the cooling sensor guage

Customer:

yes my only problem is or my concern is because the main fan is inches away from the thermal reactor or the pre cat and tone of the cooling lines is under the exhaust man is that partially the problem

david :

But it is only overheating at idle in traffic driving down the road everything is good?

david :

Every thing is pointing to the cooling fans have you tried hot th cooling fans and tacking it for a drive then letting it idle and see if it over heats?

Customer:

yes when the vehicle is in motion the temp falls back into range now for a curveball this symptom happens after a few drive cycles and then only at idle and the fans running

Customer:

if it is the fans could it be that the precat is overheating the fan and thus putting too high of a temp resistance in the windings of the motor

Customer:

if that is the case then replacing of the fan and some related parts is in order

Customer:

but then the problem would still exist woulndt it

david :

OK this is a tricky one

david :

if the fans are on and working that is not the problem.

Customer:

right

david :

I am thinking more like thermostat or water pump, Because as you give the engine more gas and the cooling system has more pressure it cools down.

david :

Thinking more sticking thermostat them bad water pump thow

Customer:

know i have heard and replaced water pumps as a technician and seen internal damage even the impeller doesnt move but the shaft does

Customer:

ok if a thermostat is sticking i have only heard of them either 100% stuck closed or open i never heard of a gray area

david :

I have seen things like that to. Along with the fins coming off the shaft and just setting in there. It falls out as you remove the water pump. That lets you know the problem real fast.

Customer:

ok so first i replace the thermostat if it is so that it was fine then money wasted and it goes to the water pump

david :

The thermostat could be stuck closed there is a weep hole in it though. And a bypass hole.

Customer:

now i have a noise in the area of the water pump as the engine is running but the power sterring pump is right there as well and i put an ear down there and i cant tell which is the problem part or not

Customer:

i dont exactly have a stethoscope i kinda broke it in the past

david :

I under stand the power steering pump is a little loud, you could try a long screw driver to your ear and to the water pump.

Customer:

ok never thought of doing that

david :

i think of it as a stronger stethoscope

Customer:

so it is really narrowed to the thermostat or the water pump

Customer:

i know of a way to test the thermostat and see if that is the culpret

Customer:

but very first is to hear if it the water pump

david :

Yes because we know the radiator is working

Customer:

in that regards XXXXX XXXXX of those are the culpret then is a good strong flush needed to see if there is a clog

Customer:

as you can tell i used to be a technician just only worked on moe simplier cars

david :

Yes but i have not seen a blockage in the cooling system causing this problem.

Customer:

could i have damaged something in the head or gasket in the first time this has happened when it wouldent crank over or sustain combustion

david :

I can tell yes it is a nice change form some of my not so mechanically inclined customers.

david :

This makes my job a lot easier

david :

It is a possibility yes the aluminum heads are vary easy to warp if the engine gets to hot it can blow the head gasket.

david :

but you would see vary high temp with the engine running. Along with coolant in the oil.

david :

along with coolant lose

Customer:

i havent seen oil in coolant or coolant in oil yet but i am curious as to if the engineers in the 2000 models of vehicles designed a fail safe in the ecm by if the certain parameters are met the engine is not to start regardless of the actual proper starting sequences... like that in semis that i used to drive if the fluids were low or if it was too hot you would not be able to start the truck is that why it was not able to crank over

Customer:

cuase if it was say my 96 dodge truck it could care less if it was over heated it would still run and of course it would be completely destroyed in the process

Customer:

all i am trying to figure out is why did my car not start til it got back down to normal temp range

david :

Yes there is a safety system that will shut off or not allow the engine to start if the engine is to hot or there is no oil pressure.

david :

That is why the engine would not start.

Customer:

really they finally got smart to help out the consumer

Customer:

well that is a very good thing to know

Customer:

thank you for that

Customer:

ok so check the operation of the thermostat and the noise of the pump that is the final thought to leave with it can only be those two things

Customer:

correct

david :

It is more the factory there were a lot of consumer blowing up engines and saying it was a factory problem. lot of suing and court dates the factory did it to cover there one @ss

Customer:

gotcha

david :

let me know what you find.

Customer:

ok shall do so

i thank you very much and i will check those items and be off on my merry way

again thank you you have put my mind at ease tonight

david :

that is what i an here for

Thank you for the accept. You can replay here just like in the chat.