Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

I resently replaced the vct solenoid o nmy 2005 F150 with a

Customer Question

I resently replaced the vct solenoid o nmy 2005 F150 with a 5.4 motor, it still idels ruff and stalls while towing a camper. Code P0022 is still coming up. What else could it be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Shawn :

Hi, Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today with your question.

Shawn :

Access the Variable Cam Timing (VCT) actuator #2 on the driver's side of the engine. Back probe the Violet/Light Blue (VT/LB) wire and with the engine running, hold the RPM above idle and try tapping the wire to ground several times. This will exercise the actuator and in many cases allow it to free up and return the cam timing to the proper position. If the actuator starts working after tapping the wire to ground, check the condition of the engine oil. Also check for excessive sludge in the engine due to lack of maintenance. Change the engine oil if needed and address any sludge or build up in the engine and recheck operation.
If there is no change when tapping the solenoid to ground, check for a timing chain that is out of time on the driver's side. Also inspect the cam sprocket assembly for any damage and repair as needed.

JACUSTOMER-edb3g7ts- :

If it was the timing chain or cam sprocket wouldn't it stall all the time?

Shawn :

Not really, it could still be intermittant

Shawn :

Possible Causes:

• Camshaft timing improperly set

• Continuous oil flow to the VCT piston chamber

• VCT solenoid valve stuck open

• Camshaft advance mechanism binding (VCT unit)

JACUSTOMER-edb3g7ts- :

It only stalls out when pulling a load when you come to a stop or trying to back up with a load. The engine smothes out at or above 900 rpm

Shawn :
When the problem occurs, access the Variable Cam Timing (VCT) actuator #2 on the driver's side of the engine. Back probe the Violet/Light Blue (VT/LB) wire and with the engine running, hold the RPM above idle and try tapping the wire to ground several times. This will exercise the actuator and in many cases allow it to free up and return the cam timing to the proper position. If the actuator starts working after tapping the wire to ground, check the condition of the engine oil. Also check for excessive sludge in the engine due to lack of maintenance. Change the engine oil if needed and address any sludge or build up in the engine and recheck operation.
If there is no change when tapping the solenoid to ground, check for a timing chain that is out of time on the driver's side. Also inspect the cam sprocket assembly for any damage and repair as needed
Shawn :

Check the condition of the engine oil and check for excessive sludge in the engine due to lack of maintenance. Flush the engine oil system and change the engine oil if needed, then recheck operation.
If there is no change when tapping the solenoid to ground, check for a timing chain that is out of time on the driver's side. To do this check compression readings of at least one cylinder on each side of the engine. There should not be more than a 10% difference between the two banks.
Inspect the cam sprocket assembly for any damage and repair as needed.
If the cam sprocket assembly checks to be ok and the compression readings suggest the timing chains are in proper alignment, replace the VCT actuator on the driver's side and recheck engine operation.

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
Hi JACUSTOMER-edb3g7ts-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Make sure the correct weight oil was installed in the motor. It is designed to use 5-20 oil. Anything thicker can cause the lifters to pump up and hold the valves open slightly causing a rough idle. Use a vacuum gauge on the engine to verify. Drain and install the correct weight oil.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I've done most of what the expert said to do, I'm stumped so that is why I went to this website.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
Hi JACUSTOMER-edb3g7ts-.

That information was not stated.Also double check for any vacuum leaks as well.

Edited by Shawn on 9/14/2010 at 11:37 PM EST