CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

2001 ford taurus: removing trans..convertor seal/have gotten..mounts

2001 ford taurus/3.0/removing trans to replace convertor seal/have gotten to the place where i need to remove subframe. as i begin i relized the engine front mounts were on the subframe. i have the lift tool to hold up back of engine but what do i do since there is no front mount on engine that is not on subframe. there is a mount but it looks like it is just for engine torque, it will not hold up engine. do i need a tool that completely hold engine?
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
CTFordTech :

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today. Are you using a transaxle engine tool that goes across the engine compartment then has a "T" that goes front to rear in the engine compartment?

Customer :

yea but it sounds like the holes in the t need to go from front to rear, so obviously i have the tool installed wrong,, i have the feet on firewall and the t going over back of engine

CTFordTech :

The two feet of the tool should be resting on the edge of the fender and the t portion rest on the radiator support near the hood latch.

CTFordTech :

That is how it is suppoed to go

Customer :

so with the 2 feet resting on the firewall at the back and the t with all the holes resting on the hood latch area is correct?

CTFordTech :

The two legs should be resting on the fenders, on each side

Customer :

the feet are resting at each side of the hood and the t with holes is resting at the hood latch, how will isupport the front of the engine when i remove the subframe

CTFordTech :

Either the tool has j-hooks that slide front to back on the t portion or you can use a chain wrap it around the t portion and use a bolt and washer and find a place on the front of the motor closest to the raditior to support on the motor. And then another chain or j hook on the back portion of the engine compartment closest to the passenger side. So in the end you should have it supported in the corners on the engine.

Customer :

so the tool will completely support the engine while the trans is removed

CTFordTech :

Yes it will.

Customer :

so the feet would rest on the firewall and the front rad support and the t would extend over engine so the j hooks could be attached to the front and rear of the engine

CTFordTech :

Should look something like this:

Full Size Image

Customer :

i appreciate it, i will have to make a support for the front because my tool only has j hooks for the t

CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified