davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company

I have a Error code P0356 Ignition coil F Failure Primary/Secondary

I have a Error code P0356 Ignition coil F Failure Primary/Secondary Circuit malfunction,can you help? Does the "F" tell what cylinder has the problem ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  davehop replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA, Ignition coil F is aka the #6 coil. Check cylinder #6, do you have a test light?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No test light, Cylinder #6 is passenger side 3rd back??
Expert:  davehop replied 3 years ago.
cylinder number 6 is the second one from the front on the drivers side,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I get away with replacing the one coil or do i have to replace all.
Expert:  davehop replied 3 years ago.
replace the coil and spark plug on #6 and the miss will be gone, but the po171, po174 is a lean code, when was the last time filters were replaced?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Air and fuel filters have 10000 miles on them and i have and exhaust leak on drivers exhaust manifold thought that could be problem for p0171,Thanks for your help
Expert:  davehop replied 3 years ago.
po171 and po174 indicate system is lean, would you like to check for a vacuum leak, which could cause those codes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is trere an easy way to see if vacuum leak is problem

Expert:  davehop replied 3 years ago.
sure, do you have a can of brake cleaner or carb cleaner, there are a few common places to check.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes carb cleaner
Expert:  davehop replied 3 years ago.
ok, start the engine and spray behind the throttle body, from the passanger side of the engine, there is a tube that goes from the passanger side valve cover to the rear of the throttle body, the PCV tube, on the end where it connects to the throttle body is a rubber elbow, this usually gets soft and mushy with higher mileage/age, and causes a vacuum leak, spray in that area, if the idle jumps up, turn off the engine and follow the tube with your hand until you reach the elbow, if it is soft replace the tube, it comes with a new elbow. Let me know what you find, and if needed, we can check a few other things, but this is most common.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will work on tomorrow thanks for help.
Expert:  davehop replied 3 years ago.
ok, please hit the green accept tab if I answered your original question to your satisfaction,
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience: Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company