Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

2002 Ford Taurus: p0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor..Pressure gage

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus that has been throwing out a P0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. In putting on a Pressure gage on the rail it read about 39 - 40.4 Psi. I saw the pressure once while looking at it go to 54 psi. It is so random that I can't seem to get a good handle on the problem. This random value is most likely creating the code. My question is whether or not, the fuel rail solenoid relay is the cuprit or where should I look for the problem. I am not sure how the fuel is regulated! Thanks!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

you need to moinitor the fuel rail sensor pid against the acuall fuel pressure

Steve :

If it is off the fuel rail pressure sensor is bad.

JACUSTOMER-9fogv1jp- :

I did this and both were in agreement in that the pressure was within the nominal 39 psi. One time I caught the fuel rail pressure sensor reading 54 psi, but by the time that I got the gauge on it it was back to nominal

Steve :

have seen fuel rail pressure sensor go bad

Steve :

I would start with the sensor

Steve :

this is on the fuel rail

JACUSTOMER-9fogv1jp- :

Is this just a sensor or is it a symptom of pressure issues somewhere else?

JACUSTOMER-9fogv1jp- :

The reason I ask is that the car does jerk now and then and that is when the engine light goes on and the code is P0191

Steve :

The computer controls the fuel pressure with the fuel rail pressure sensor. If it is giving false readings to the computer then the fuel pressure will be off and cause concerns

JACUSTOMER-9fogv1jp- :

Excellent. Then I will replace the sensor. I noticed that it rather pricey! Is there a solenoid as well with it or just a sensor or is it a single package if you will?

Steve :

It is just a sensor

Steve :

get one piece for a expensive price

JACUSTOMER-9fogv1jp- :

OK! I will give it a try and hope that this is the cuprit. Thanks for the information. Appreciate it!