CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified

I have a 2007 Ford Focus, the fan does not work, but when the

I have a 2007 Ford Focus, the fan does not work, but when the fan is in the "On" position the air conditioner is functioning without air being blown. A month ago the fan was working intermittently but as I said it doesn't work now. What should I check before I can determine that the fan motor needs to be changed? If it is the motor, then how do I get to it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
CTFordTech :

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today. Under the dash board on the passenger side of the vehicle is where you will find the blower motor. It is slightly covered by a panel that can simple be pulled down as it is held in with a pin clip. After you have is removed, you can either use a test light or a digital volt meter and check for voltage at the two wire connector on the bottom of the blower. If you have voltage at the connector, I would suspect the blower to be bad.

Customer :

Will I need any special tools?

CTFordTech :

Other than the test light or volt meter, No. The motor is only held in by a few small screw bolts.

Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I was going to have to take appart the whole dash. This is great news.

CTFordTech :

Nope, The blower motor is a fairly simple part to replace.

Customer :

I have a 2007 Ford Focus and I use Motor Craft Oil and oil filters for oil changes. I have 74,354 miles and I make note of all Oil changes with receipts in my maintenance booklet. I have also had the transmission flushed 3 times since purchasing the car new. I also had the Brake Rotors resurfaced when I changed the front disk pads. When should I change the Rear drum shoes and is there any other maintenances other than these that I should have performed by this time.

CTFordTech :

The rear drum brakes on this car tend to last a very long time. We use a brake guide and I would say when the shoes are done to about 2mm shoe lining or less they should be changed. Obviously I cannot tell you how much you have left. As for other service, The timing belt should be changed around 90-100k miles along with the spark plugs and air filter.

Customer :

I was told by a technician at Aadvantage Ford in Monrovia that the 2007 Ford Focus has a Timing chain and not a belt. Is this true?

CTFordTech :

My appologies, Yes the 2007 has a chain. Sorry about that. I had timing belt on the mind I was just talking to another customer about there Kia timing belt as I work for a Ford Lincoln Mercury Kia dealership. The older Focus's have a t-belt.

CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a 2007 Ford Focus and the fan blower motor worked intermittently, then one day it stopped. Unfortunately it had to stop during the hottest days of this summer. Using this site I asked a Ford mechanic how I'd remove the motor if necessary. He answered my question effortlessly and courteously, of which I'm very grateful. While fiddling with the motor I decided to check the electrical plug to the motor, then I tried turning on the fan and it worked immediately. While it was running I discovered that the wire near the electrical plug was extremely hot. I also discovered that if I moved the wire the fan motor would stop and start.

Should I take the car to a mechanic to have them replace the shorted wire or do you think I might be able to fix it myself; there is no real slack to the wire for replacement. Or can a whole new wire be purchased at the dealer.

What I think is happening is the blower motor is drawing too much amperage causing the wire to get warm. I would recommend first to replace the motor and retest and see if the wire still gets hot which it should not.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So it's not the wiring?

I do not suspect the wiring. The blower motors draw a lot of current or amperage normally and if the blower motor is bad it can only draw more which would cause the wire to get hot.

CTFordTech, Ford Technician