Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

2000 Ford Focus: My blower motor..quit working..control knob

My blower motor on my 2000 Ford Focus quit working. It doesn't work on any setting of the control knob. Also, my A/C light will not turn on when the button is pressed. Where should I focus my attention when making the repair?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 3 years ago.
You need to focus your attention to testing the a/c controller for power and ground, If power and ground are good , you need to replace the controller( which is the part in the center of the dash that controls the a/c modes and blower switch. A competent Technician using a wiring diagram can perform the testing for a nominal fee
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, I will need to remove the radio to get to the a/c controller & blower motor switch. Are you ruling out the blower motor resister and blower motor at this time? Mike
No, not until the entire circuit is tested, your mechanic will need to remove whatever is necessary to accomplish the testing and then make a decision based on that testing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The reason I agreed to this service was to avoid going to a mechanic. I have done some research about this issue and feel I am capable of making the repair. I can test for voltage, ohms, etc. My wife stated she smelled burnt plastic/wires through the vents before the blower motor quit. The F64 fuse is OK and all fuses under the dash are OK. I am wanting an answer to make the repairs myself..........
From what you have told me about smelling burn't plastic This repair requires a professional Electrical Technician that specializes in automotive electronics, It's quite possible you have a fire hazard to deal with I urge you to consult a Professional Technician. Unless you are certified yourself.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Different expert here. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective blower motor resistor, below are the test procedures.

Check for power to the blower motor on the Green/Orange (GN/OG) wire from fuse F64 in the battery junction box.
If battery voltage is present, turn the blower switch to the HI speed position and check for a ground on the Black/Red (BK/RD) wire at the blower motor.
If ground is not present, access the blower motor switch and check for a ground on the Black (BK) wire for the switch and also on the Black/Orange (BK/OG) wire which comes from the blower motor.
If the switch is connected and the BK wire is a good ground, but the BK/OG is not, then replace the blower motor switch.

graphic

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Edited by Shawn on 9/5/2010 at 9:40 PM EST
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Below is the system wiring diagram. (see below).

graphic

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

By the way, it would help to know:

-I sent the information you have requested.

-Do you need more help?

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No power to F64 via the (GR/OR) wire. What now? Also, I have noticed that the radiator fans are not running - I see the same (GR/OR) wire attached to one of them. Thanks In-Advance For Your Assistance.......
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer.

Thank you for the reply,

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Here is the system wiring diagram below.
graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, now I should check only the blower motor switch that is accessed by removing the stereo?

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.Yes, you will need to remove the radio for easier access, (CLICK HERE FOR RADIO REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS).

Here are additional test procedures, see below.

CLICK HERE FOR TEST PROCEDURES

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer.

By the way, it would help to know:

If there are no more questions Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.

-Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system.

-If you need more help let me know, otherwise Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I replaced the burnt out blower motor switch today. Good as new! Thanks for taking the time in helping resolve my issue. The Ford radio removal tool was $4.50 at Wal-Mart and the blower motor switch was $24.99 at Advance Auto Parts. (only place that had one in stock) As you can see, I saved some money making the repair myself and NOT taking my 2000 Ford Focus to a Professional Technician/Mechanic!!!! Thanks again for YOUR assistance!!!!

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Hi Customer.

Thank you for the reply, if my answer has helped you out please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work, thank you.

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas