Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

How to remove lower radiator hose on 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4

How to remove lower radiator hose on 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4 cyl. I cant seem to get to it from under the truck.

Went out this morning and noticed antifreeze on the ground from under the truck. the hoses to not appear split but there is antifreeze dripping from the area of the top connection of the lower radiator hose.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Shawn :

Hi, Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today with your question.

Customer :

Hi

Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

Hi Customer.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Radiator Hoses

Collapsing radiator hoses (especially upper radiator hose ) may be an indication of a malfunctioning vacuum relief valve in the engine . Inspect and clean vacuum valve. Also make sure that overflow hose is open between overflow bottle and radiator .

Removal

The cooling system upper radiator hose should be replaced whenever they become cracked, swelled, deteriorated, or have a tendency to collapse.

Partially drain the cooling system to replace a cooling system upper upper radiator hose . Drain the cooling system completely to replace the radiator upper radiator hose .

NOTE: In some cases, prevailing compression spring clamps are used to attach the upper radiator hose and lower radiator hose to the radiator . The clamp for the lower radiator hose is the larger of the two. Do not switch the clamps on upper radiator hose and lower radiator hose .

1. Drain or partially drain the cooling system by removing the radiator cap and attaching a 9.5mm (3/8-inch) inside diameter hose to the draincock nipple, located at the lower rear corner of the radiator . Then, open the radiator drain cock and allow the coolant to flow through the hose into a suitable container.
  2. Then, expand the clamps on each end of the hose(s) to be removed. Slide the hose(s) off the connections.

Installation

WARNING: DO NOT STAND IN LINE WITH OR NEAR THE ENGINE COOLING FAN BLADE WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING.

1. Position the clamps on each end of the new hose. Slide the hose onto the connectors. Make sure the clamps are located beyond the beads on the connectors.
  2. Fill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water and bleed the system.
  3. Operate the engine for several minutes, then check the hose(s) and connections for leaks. Retighten screw clamps.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
not what i was asking
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
Hi Customer.

Thank you for the reply, the directions I sent are directly from Ford. Below is a diagram showing how the hose is mounted and the clamp locations (see diagram below). The job is pretty straight forward. Twist and pull at the same time when removing hoses.

graphic

Edited by Shawn on 9/4/2010 at 7:30 PM EST
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
Hi Customer.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Below are the drain, fill, bleed procedures.

1994 Ranger

Cooling System, Draining, Filling and Bleeding

WARNING: NEVER REMOVE THE RADIATOR CAP UNDER ANY CONDITIONS WHILE THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THIS INSTRUCTION COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE COOLING SYSTEM OR ENGINE AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY. USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING THE RADIATOR CAP FROM A HOT RADIATOR . IF POSSIBLE, WAIT UNTIL ENGINE HAS COOLED, THEN WRAP A THICK CLOTH AROUND THE RADIATOR CAP AND TURN IT SLOWLY TO THE FIRST STOP. STEP BACK WHILE THE PRESSURE IS RELEASED FROM THE COOLING SYSTEM. WHEN YOU ARE SURE ALL THE PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED, PRESS DOWN ON THE RADIATOR CAP (STILL USING A CLOTH), TURN AND REMOVE IT.

Draining

1. Shut off engine and allow to cool.
  2. Remove the radiator cap . Refer to above warning.
  3. Attach a 9.5mm (3/8-inch) inside diameter hose on the radiator drain cock to minimize loss of coolant when draining.
  4. Open radiator drain cock and permit radiator to drain into a clean container.
  5. Remove drain plug on cylinder block to allow engine to drain if necessary.
  6. Dispose of old coolant properly. Promptly clean up any spilled coolant.

Filling

WARNING: USE CAUTION WHEN ADDING COOLANT MIXTURE TO RADIATOR TO AVOID HOT COOLANT OR STEAM BLOW OUT FROM THE RADIATOR .

NOTE: Use the following steps to remove air from the cooling system and to make sure a complete fill can be accomplished.

NOTE: When filling a crossflow radiator , allow time for the coolant to flow through the radiator tubes to the other end tank to make sure radiator is full.

1. Close radiator drain cock and install cylinder block drain plug.
  2. Fill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of specified coolant concentrate and water. Allow several minutes for trapped air to escape (bubble out) and for coolant mixture to flow through the radiator.
  3. Install radiator cap to pressure relief position by installing radiator cap to fully installed position and then backing off to first stop. This will allow any air to escape and minimize spillage.
  4. Slide heater temperature and mode selection levers to maximum heat position.
  5. Start engine and allow to operate at fast idle (approximately 2000 rpm) for three to four minutes. Shut engine off.
  6. With engine off, wrap radiator cap with a thick cloth, carefully remove radiator cap and add coolant to bring coolant level up to filler neck seat.
  7. Replace radiator cap to fully installed position. Then, back off to first stop. Operate engine at fast idle until the upper radiator hose is warm ( water thermostat opens). To check radiator , shut engine off, wrap radiator cap with thick cloth, carefully remove radiator cap . Add additional coolant if necessary. Replace radiator cap to fully installed position.
  8. Open the small cap on the top of the radiator coolant recovery reservoir . The large cap is for the windshield washer reservoir. NEVER put coolant mixture in windshield washer bottle.
  9. Using a suitable suction gun, remove all coolant from radiator coolant recovery reservoir .
  10. Add 1 liter (1.1 quarts) of 50/50 mixture of coolant concentrate and water to the radiator coolant recovery reservoir . Close the small cap.

Edited by Shawn on 9/4/2010 at 7:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. thanks. now how do you get to the clamp on that lower hose that connects to the water pump. I cant seem to fit anything in the space to remove it.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
Hi Customer.

Thank you for the reply. In order to gain acces to the clamp I would recommend burchasing a hose clamp removal tool, which can be purchsed at most auto parts stores. Based on your description, I would also suspect the water pump as the source of the leak, here is additional information for you (CLICK HERE FOR WATER REPLACEMENT INSTRUCTIONS).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. thank you for your help
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
Hi Customer.

You are welcome, here is a picture of what the tool looks like, it is designed to get into hard to reach areas, (see diagram below). If there are no more questions Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.

graphic

Edited by Shawn on 9/4/2010 at 7:46 PM EST
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas