EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified

2003 ford crown victoria: headlights will not come on.

Customer Question

I have a 2003 ford crown victoria. not a police. the headlights will not come on. all other lights work but not headlights.. have already replaced the headlight switch. they will come on if you lift the turn signal lever like you are putting on brights. what could be the problem. is there a relay somewhere or what?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 3 years ago.
Have you verified voltage not getting to the headlight bulbs ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have not tried that. there would have to be on voltage since the lights will burn when you lift the turn signal sw. lever. they will not come on on dim or bright when you turn the headlight sw. on but will come on when you lift the turn signal switch lever
Expert:  EMRSR replied 3 years ago.

There are 2 fuses 2 to check, have you made sure they were both good, position 24 &26 on the fuse box inside the car. Is the vehicle equipped with Auto Headlamps or daytime running lights ?

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it has auto headlamps.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 3 years ago.
Are those fuses good ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they are good. yesterday i got in car and the lights came on. then i turned the lights of

and they would not come back on.. when you turn the lights on there is a click under the dash like there is relay that clicks and is not allowing the headlights for come on.

Expert:  EMRSR replied 3 years ago.
Does this sound like it is coming from the gas pedal area ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i guess you could say that. i is in the inst. panel somewhere on the left side.

Expert:  EMRSR replied 3 years ago.
I am sure what you are hearing is the LCM (lighting control module), but before changing it I want to clarify . Are the headlamps inoperative with the auto headlamps on and all the other light come on correctly or is it the entire auto headlamp system inop where no other lights are coming on when they should as well. This part is very pricey and I want to be sure on this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. all the other lights come on but no headlights.. this can be in the auto mode or in the

manual mode.

Expert:  EMRSR replied 3 years ago.

There are pinpoint tests that unless you have a wiring problem lead to only the headlight switch or control module. Since the car is not that old I seriously doubt any interior wiring has gone bad. I have to believe at this point you need a Lighting Control Module. I have included some information for you as well. You can purchase a used one at Car-Part.com they are the largest locater for used parts.graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Headlamp Delay System - Autolamp

The autolamp system:

• provides light sensitive on-off control of the lamps normally controlled by the headlamp switch.
  • provides increased visibility for occupants when leaving the vehicle by keeping the lamps on for approximately 20 seconds after the ignition switch is turned off.

The system consists of:

• a light sensor amplifier
  • a lighting control module (LCM)
  • the headlamp switch

For the autolamp system to be operational, the headlamp switch must be rotated to the AUTO position.

In normal operation:

• The system will turn the exterior lamps on when the light available to the light sensor amplifier decreases below a predetermined level, such as at sunset.
  • The lamps will automatically turn off when the level of outside light exceeds a predetermined level, such as during daylight hours.

The light sensor amplifier must always be exposed to outside light to function correctly. Do not place any items on the defroster grille panel which may block light to the light sensor amplifier and cause erratic operation of the system.

Turning the headlamp switch to any other position will override the autolamps operation. Automatic operation will not be possible until the headlamp switch is turned to the AUTO position

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I could not find the part listed on on car-part.com. Once I accept your answer I can ask

no more questions, right.

Expert:  EMRSR replied 3 years ago.

Pertaining to this issue...absolutely.

graphicgraphic

EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience: 20 years with Ford, Master Certified