Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,
22989858

HOW DO YOU FIX A CODE P0171 ON A FORD F150 1998.

Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford expert replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.There are two main causes for this trouble code , first checked the PCv hose And PCv valve For any leaks or cracks . Secondly the mass airflow sensor is usually the root cause of this problem you can remove the sensor and try cleaning it with carburetor cleaner but do not touch the small wire that you're cleaning because it breaks very easily . If that does not work then just replace the mass airflow sensor
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 yrs,experience shop owner,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WILL THE MAKE THE TRUCK IDLE HIGH AT TIMES AND NORMAL AT OTHERS. AND WILL THIS CAUSE P0171 SYSTEM TOO LEAN (BANK 1) CODE? WHAT AND WHERE IS BANK 1?

Yes this will cause all of those problems and bank 1 on any engine is always were ever the number one cylinder is that's what it refers to
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could it be a number one coil and spark plug. Where is the mass airflow sensor on the engine and how hard and how long would it take to replace it?

No it would be very unlikely to be a faulty sparkplug or coil the mass airflow sensor is located in the air intake duct and is extremely simple to replace , just remove two screws and it comes right out

REMOVAL

WARNING: DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR (MAF SENSOR). THE SENSOR CAN BE DAMAGED BY TOUCHING.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

1. Open the engine air cleaner.
    • Disconnect the Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor connector from the wiring harness.
    • Release the air cleaner clamp.
    • Separate the inlet side of the air cleaner from the outlet side of the air cleaner.

1. Cut the tape on the wire loom of the extension harness.
    • Peel back the wire loom from the extension harness near the grommet in the air cleaner.

CAUTION: Do not cut the MAF sensor wires when cutting the tape on the wire loom.

1. Remove the grommet from the outlet side of the air cleaner and slide the grommet down the extension harness.

1. Remove the MAF sensor plate and mass air flow sensor from the outlet side of the engine air cleaner.

1. Disconnect the MAF sensor connector.

1. Remove the nuts and separate the MAF plate from the mass air flow sensor.

INSTALLATION

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

CAUTION:

• Do not tamper with the MAF sensing elements located in the airflow bypass; tampering may result in unit failure.
  • The grommet used to seal the engine air cleaner housing at the extension harness must be fully seated. Failure to do so will result in unmetered air entering the engine.

NOTE:

• The MAF sensor module and body are calibrated and replaced as a unit.
  • Use the alignment notch to properly align the inlet side and the outlet side of the engine air cleaner.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a diagram of where it is and what it looks like.

here you go

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

1. Open the engine air cleaner.
    • Release the air cleaner clamp.

1. Disconnect the MAF sensor connector.

INSTALLATION

CAUTION:

NOTE:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is the difference in getting a remanufactured MAF sensor and a new one. Is the performance going to be the same?
You'll be fine with a remanufactured sensor , whichever one is cheaper is the one I would go with the performance is the same
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I got the part, can I do it at home. Do I have to take it to a Ford dealership to get the

" CHECK ENGINE" light to go off. I heard you can disconnect the battery and it will reset itself in 5 min of being disconnected. Will it have to be calibrated to the engine like a new carberater?

Yes you can do this yourself at home there's no calibration needed and just disconnect the battery to clear the check engine light