Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2003 Ford Expedition: rear hatch..the unlock..outside handle..release

The rear hatch won't open on my 2003 Ford Expedition. I can hear the solonid activate when we hit the unlock and there doesn't seem to be anything jammed in the catch, but the outside handle doesn't release it.
Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

You are going to need to remove the interior trim panel (not easy with the lift gate stuck down and closed). Then once inside you must visually watch the door handle to make sure its activating the latch then make sure the door lock actuator is doing the same. Last step is going to be manually opening the lift gate by hand on the latch. We normally find a broXXXXX XXXXXdle rod or bad lock actuator. If you need help doing this, any step please reply.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I knew how to remove the interterior trim panel without destroying it I would have already done it. Any suggestions? Ben

Here is how to remove the trim panel.

graphicgraphic