Mat
Mat, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  11 yrs at FLM Dealer, Senior Master Tech 05-present, ASE Master tech, Auto trans & Diesel
49638932

2005 ford escape: factory installed 6 disc cd/radio player

I have a 2005 ford escape with factory installed 6 disc cd/radio player. Suddenly the last time I tried to use it ( I use it vey little) it refused to take a disc. I mean I cannot insert the disc in the player at all, the little door refused to open. I just discovered I can get it to take a disc and play it about 50% of the time by pushing "load disc" and selecting slot 1. The door then opens and I slip in the disc and it then plays ok. I can get by this way but whats wrong? Why can't I just insert 1 disc from the start?

Sherm Beyl, Mpls Minn.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mat replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX Iam a Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master Tech. I would like to answer your question as Iam familiar with the 6 disc changer since there is one in my wife's escape.The cd player will not accept a disc when you try to push one in because it has mulitple slots for 6 different discs. The reason you have to press load cd first is because the cd player will only load the cd into a slot that is not already occupied. If you try to push in cd it doesnt know what slot to put it in. This cd player only has one driver for all 6 cds, when cd1 is done for example the driver now needs to move its location to play cd2. That is the reason why you cant just insert one like a regular one disc player. You say you use it very little so you may have just forgotten the rules of the game I guess you could say. From what you are telling me it sounds like your cd player is operating normally. If for some reason once you load the cd it wont play, rejects it, says cd error on display, etc, you can always go to your local ford dealer and they have an exchange program in place with the radio company. Its under 200 i think, cheaper than an aftermarket radio and looks much better. Anyways good luck and if you have free time read up on the cd changer in the owners manual. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and please remember to click the accept button if I have answered your question. thanks
Mat, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience: 11 yrs at FLM Dealer, Senior Master Tech 05-present, ASE Master tech, Auto trans & Diesel