Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition with the V8

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition with the V8 and the automatatic four wheel drive option with the air ride suspension. It sounds like the right front wheel is in four wheel drive all the time. Is there a way to get it to release. I have tried changing the dashboard setting from Normal to Off Road, and even tried going in reverse on changing it back to Normal for approximately 100 feet. Still, it sounds like it is constantly engaged. I am afraid I am going to damage my truck. In the manual i own and any other book I look at, it says I have to take it in to the dealer. If I could afford that, I'd have a new one and not worry about it.
Is there anything I can do to get it to release?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim West replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Tim West :

hi is the truck binding on turns?

Customer :

sometimes

Tim West :

Besides a possible transfer case problem, there are 2 things you should check.

Tim West :

The fluid and the tire sizes

Customer :

The tires were replaced last year and are P225/70/R16's. Are you talking about the transfer case fluid and if low, what would be the required replacemant fluid?

Tim West :

there are a couple TSB's you should loook over

Tim West :

First click here

Tim West :

1 sec while I find the one on the fluid

Customer :

Could this possibly be an electrical problem since it is automatic four wheel drive?

Tim West :

An electrical problem will more than likely cause an error light

Tim West :

Change the fluid first

Tim West :

1 sec

Customer :

Check it and add if low, or change it?

Tim West :

just change it

Tim West :

click here

Tim West :

Those are the specs

Tim West :

try and let me know how it helps.

Customer :

Okay, but you don't think it is maybe the electronic shift module at this point?

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the fluid right now.

Tim West :

Thanks,

Customer :

anybody out there?

Tim West :

hi

Customer :

I changed the fluid in the transfer case and took it for a ride, tried engaging with the off road switch on dash and then disengaging, but no luck, still engaged. I even went as far as to find some loose gravel and give it a little so it would spin to see if it would switch to left front, but no luck.

Tim West :

well thanks for trying that.

Tim West :

I am going to send the question to another tech.

Tim West :

hang tight

Tim West :

let me see if another tech has an idea

Customer :

Okay

Expert:  Ford expert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.This may or may not be stuck in four wheel drive you may just have a problem with the right front wheel such as a faulty wheel bearing . Put the vehicle in two wheel drive And jack the car up front and rear placing it on jack stands . Now tell me if the from wheels continue to spin while it into wheel drive and if the noise is still present