Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

98 ranger: wont engage in 4WD HI or 4WD LO..dash lights blink 6 times

My 98 Ranger won't engage in 4WD HI or 4WD LO. These dash lights blink 6 times together and then go out. This keeps repeating. Can't find any blown fuses. I do a lot of mechanical work & could do more trouble-shooting as advised. Thanks, Bill
Chat Conversation Started
Shawn :

Hi, Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today with your question.

Shawn :

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Ford Motor Company in regards XXXXX XXXXX situation if you need I can send you a copy.

JACUSTOMER-bjhv72b6- :

Yes , I would like a copy of the TBS

Shawn :

Here you go CLICK HERE FOR TSB

JACUSTOMER-bjhv72b6- :

Shawn, I would like more information in addition to the TBS. The shift motor is quite rusty and I thought about removing it for service. Is this a simple procedure without special tools or settings?

Shawn :

Yes I can replacement instructions, for that as well. In most cases if the 4wd is not used all the time it will lock up internally, sometimes you can tap on the outer case and that may engage the shift motor.

JACUSTOMER-bjhv72b6- :

If I click on the TBS, it will navigate me away from this site. Can I look at this TBS and still get back to you without losing you?

Shawn :

Yes that is correct

JACUSTOMER-bjhv72b6- :

Shawn, Thanks for all the information so far. I am still interested in exactly what the sequence of flashing lights means. I can't tell whether it means electrical, mechanical, or vacuum problem?

Shawn :

In order to retrieve the codes that are being set you will need a NGS (New Generation Star) or equivalent scan tool.

Shawn :

Check the vacuum to the front hubs when first put in 4WD; as vacuum is normally only present for about 45 seconds. There should be at least 15" of vacuum present for about 45 seconds after 4WD is engaged. If this is OK, leak test the front hubs.
If there is no or low vacuum to the hubs, access the vacuum hublock solenoid assembly behind the passenger side headlight. Verify good manifold vacuum to the solenoid from the intake manifold. Check for vacuum leaks or restrictions in the line from the solenoid to the front hubs. If OK, verify battery voltage on the Purple/Orange wire with the key on, from fuse 27 in the inside fuse box. If OK, check for a ground on the Dark Blue/Yellow wire and the Pink/Light Green wire for about 45 seconds when 4WD is engaged. If present, but there is no vacuum out of the hublock solenoid, replace the solenoid assembly.
If the Dark Blue/Yellow and/or Pink/Light Green wires are never grounded when 4WD is engaged, further diagnosis of the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) and circuits will be necessary.

JACUSTOMER-bjhv72b6- :

I have a friend that possibly has the correct scan tool. If I disconnect the battery will the codes be reset after repairs?

Shawn :

It may but the scan tool is the proper way to clear codes.

JACUSTOMER-bjhv72b6- :

Thanks Shawn, I will go with this information and hopefully solve the problem.

Shawn :

Clear the memory of the GEM through the scan tool. Disconnect the scan tool and turn the ignition switch off and then back to the run position and recheck 4WD shift operation.
If the transfer case shift motor works but the 4WD control lights do not indicate properly, remove fuse 25 (7.5 amp) of the instrument panel fuse box with the ignition switch OFF for about 10 seconds and reinstall it. Then recheck operation of the shift motor and 4WD indicator lights.
If the lights still do not work, access the GEM connection and ground the circuits for the indicator lights through a jumper wire with the key in the run position to verify the light bulbs and circuits are good before condemning the GEM.
If clearing the codes of the GEM does not cause function to return to normal, recheck for codes of the GEM after another shift attempt to see what codes reset and address them as needed.

Shawn :

You are welcome, and best of luck to you.

Shawn :

Please don't forget to click on the accept button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks. If there are any more questions let me know, thanks.