Lurch
Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience:  Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

1998 Explorer: front ps window is down, and wont go up.

1998 Explorer. Front PS window is down, and won't go up. DS switch creates a click in the vicinity of the motor, but PS switch does not. Dismantling the door and testing at the motor disconnect shows 12V when the DS switch is activated, but nothing when the PS switch is activated. Feeding 12V directly to the motor (yellow wire UP, red wire DOWN) yields no response on either wire, suggesting that the motor itself is dead (despite the clicks). (I assume the motor is self-grounded through the body, since there are only the two up/down wires going into it.)

Unless there is some hope for resurrecting the motor, I need to at least know how to get the window back up again.

Thanks,
Bud Lewis
Red Deer, Alberta

sorry, but the test you did, was not correct
The Window Motor needs a Reversal Circuit
Switch held in Up position:
One wire will have 12 Volts +
One wire will have Ground -

Switch held in Down position:
The wire that had 12 Volts + is now Ground -
The wire that had Ground - is now 12 Volts +

If voltage & Ground checks as above, Replace the Window Motor

If voltage & Ground do not check as above, test incoming into Switch
Look for "broken wires" in Driver & Passenger Kick Panel / Door Boot (where harness goes into door)

If you need further, please ask......

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I tried applying 12V to one motor wire and ground to the other, and nothing. Thinking that might have been the "down" combination, I reversed them and still nothing. So I guess the motor is toast, because I AM getting 12V from the "switch" end of the disconnect (although only from the DS side switch). Anyway:

1. Is there some way to raise the window glass until I track down a motor? (the door is still disassembled)

2. Is there a trick to replacing the motor? The door appears to be a one-piece unit, with no large holes in the neighbourhood of the motor. And I'll have to get the un-visible gears to mesh when reinstalling it.

Thanks,
Bud

From the Switch on the "2" wires that go to the Motor, it should be as I posted above
Ground - on one
12 Volts + on the other

Then "reverses" for the opposite way

If Voltage & Ground shows correct on the 2 wires at the Window Motor, Motor needs to be Replaced

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Agreed.

Can you answer either of my other two questions?

Very sorry...........totally spaced it out

A) You will need to disconnect a) Glass from Regulator "or" Disconnect Regulator from Door, Raise Glass & make shift something to hold Regulator & Glass Up

A) Here is procedures

click link below

REMOVE REGULATOR & MOTOR

procedure above says to Rivet, but you can use short #8 bolts & nuts, just be sure to use short ones & check for any clearance problems very carefully

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. That's what I wanted.

But your link doesn't go anywhere. Can you double-check that please?

Bud

sorry works here.
It is .pdf & you need Adobe Acrobat to view, not to mention SITE Problems.....

here is reprint, but you may not be able to print the complete

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got it. Thank you!

Thank You......

If you need further, let me know

Please accept my answer if it has been helpful.
Regardless of the terms of your Just Answer account, I only get paid for my