Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

I have received the following error codes on 2006 Ford Taurus

I have received the following error codes on 2006 Ford Taurus that met an accident 6 months and dealer fixed it front damage..
Error Codes: B1231, B1318, B2292, B1884, P0316, P1270

P1270 : Vehicle RPM/Speed limit reached..
P0316: misfire detected at startup - (Spark Plugs and Ignition Coil)
B1231 – Related to Module controls Airbags
B1318: - Related to Voltage???
B1884: PAD Warning Lamp Circuit Failure – passenger airbag light – change the light bulb or circuit could be bad..
B2292: Restraint System - Safety Belt Pretensioner Status

When we start the vehicle, the Airbag light blinks with a code of 13 five times and stays on.. Not sure if we can buy this vehicle in this condition or get some idea what does not take to fix above issues...

Can you please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX? Thank you

Jay Reddy
Atlanta
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

Jay:

They do not allow us to see phone numbers or email addresses on this site. When you post a number all we can see is XXX-XXX-XXXX

As to what you will need on this vehicle the flashing light code 13 and the B1231 tells you that the crash data is stored in memory and the RCM module will need to be replaced.

The Code B2292 is the seat belt pretensioner is bad or was activated in the crash and it will also need to be replaced. The code does not pin-point which one it is drivers side or passenger,if it would flash a code for it this would tell you the drivers side would be 33 and the passenger would be 34.If your scan tool could access PID data you could tell this way also.

The PAD light code is almost always the PAD indicator and the B1318 is just low voltage code which you always see when one comes out of the body shop(they almost always let the battery go dead).

Now the P0316 may be able to be corrected with just a PCM reflash,there is a TSB out for this.Here is a copy of it:

TSB
06-10-2
  • MIL ON AND DTC P0300/P030X WITH P0316 IN MEMORY - 3.0L 2V
Publication Date: May 4, 2006

FORD:2005-2006 Taurus
MERCURY:2005 Sable

This article supersedes TSB 05-23-12 to add a production fix date.

ISSUE:

Some 2005-2006 Taurus and 2005 Sable vehicles built before 12/15/2005 and equipped with a 3.0L 2-valve engine may exhibit the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0300/P030x and P0316 in memory, with no driveability concerns.

ACTION:

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using WDS release B39.14 and higher or B40.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B40 CD. The calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME
061002A2005-2006 Taurus, 2005 Sable: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D84)0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE
RECALEM04

The P0316 means it was a miss-fire detected but could not pin-point cylinder.

The overspeed or over RPM code I would not worry about if vehicle runs out ok.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Chuck,
Thanks for answering. I need more explanation.
>>As to what you will need on this vehicle the flashing >>light code 13 and the B1231 tells you that the crash >>data is stored in memory and the RCM module will need >>to be replaced.
Any idea on average new RCM module cost and labor?
Can we put used RCM module?

>>the B1318 is just low voltage code which you always see >>when one comes out of the body shop(they almost always >>let the battery go dead
If we re-charge, it should be alright? Or can there some problem with Alternator or charging system?

>>The Code B2292 is the seat belt pretensioner is bad or >>was activated in the crash and it will also need to be >>replaced.
Any idea on average cost on parts and labor to replace this?

>>Now the P0316 may be able to be corrected with just a >>PCM reflash,there is a TSB out for this.Here is a copy
>>of it:
What would Ford dealer charge for this sevice? Can we do by ourselves? If it is dealer, what is your guess on average cost. I will hold you on numbers..

>>The P0316 means it was a miss-fire detected but could >>not pin-point cylinder.
Is there any problem with engine? or changing sparc plugs can solve it? If it is engine, problem do you recommend any solution and how much does it cost?

Once I have some idea of on total cost of fixing these issues, then I will have better idea.. Any estimation would for both parts and labor at Ford Dealership and or secondary repair shows with less labor charges...

Thanking you,

Jay Reddy
Atlanta
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

Jay:

Researched this some more for you. On the RCM the price is $169.16. It does not require programming so you can do this yourself. As far as getting one from a used car you can get one from 2004 thru 2006 model only difference is with or without side air bags.

If you purchase a new one the part numbers are 4F1Z-14B321-BA for with side air bags

4F1Z-14B321-AA for without side air bags.

The only problem with a used one is if the vehicle was involved in an accident that had a deployment then it will have crash data stored and will be just like yours, unusable.The way it works is the RCM is always recording,when you have an accident which deploys something like an air bag or a pretensioner then it stores the recording.Once it is stored then it must be replaced.

The pre-tensioners are made into the seat belt buckles and when you are involved in an accident they deploy and pull the belts tight.Once they are deployed they must be replaced. They will only deploy when the seat belt is buckled. So you most likely have the drivers side for sure and unless someone was sitting in the passenger side this one may be ok. They are color dependent so there are to many part numbers to list here but for a black one the part numbers are drivers side 6F1Z-5461203-CC price is $148.80 and for passenger side the part number is XXXXX same price.

Now the PAD indicator is a whole different story on this model.It is part of the ICP or the entire center(radio) controls. Looking thru the diagnosis for this one it states that it could be caused by the RCM or wiring between them but if these are good the ICP has to be replaced you can not service the bulb on this one.The price on this is $410.53 for manual AC or $506.89 for electronic. On the bright side of this though I have never seen one of these have to be replaced for a PAD indicator but you never know this could be the first time.The good thing is though this does not require programming either so you could do this yourself also if needed.

On the B1318 code this is a low voltage code,it could be caused by a bad alternator but if you checked the output voltage on the alternator and it is charging then it most likely was caused by a weak or dead battery.I have never seen a vehicle come out of a body shop that did not have a B1318 code stored in memory unless it was just a small 2 or 3 day job.They never charge the batteries until they have finished with the repairs and if it was down for a few weeks it will have this code.

The reflash will have to be done by the dealer and most of the time they will charge an hour labor or around $100

Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance