FordMasterTech
FordMasterTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Master Certification Ford Motor Company.
8447962

2005 f-150: Trouble code is P2106..Engine light stays

I have a 2005 f-150. Trouble code is P2106. Engine light stays on and before that a small "wrench" lit up on the dash. Engine runs rough sometimes and I also get a message where my odometer is that says "trans default" and the over drive light flashes. If I turn engine off and back on the message goes away and o/d light stops flashing. I need help!!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  FordMasterTech replied 6 years ago.
p2106 usually can be fixed by cleaning the throttle body usually this code comes up after a battery went dead or a battery was replaced and the computer cant adapt for the carbon buildup on the throttle plate and it gets confused and throws this code
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How does the warning "trans default" come into play? Is that common for this code?
the trans default code doesn't come into play with this sounds like its 2 different problems i would fix this throttle body code first then go to the trans fault
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
According to the ford dealer in Peoria, AZ. they both have to do with the throttle body? You are saying that they are two separate problems? The light for the trans default came on yesterday. It doesn't happen very often but now it seems to be happening in conjunction to the wrench light coming on and the engine light?
it could be because of the throttle body and the pcm causing the vehicle to go into failsafe mode but i would first address the throttle body concern because it could fix your transmission problem as well