A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

have a 2004 F350 6.0 with egr cooler problems, white smoke,

Customer Question

have a 2004 F350 6.0 with egr cooler problems, white smoke, etc. I took it to a dealership, where they indeed diagnosed the problem as a bad egr cooler, and a bad oil cooler. as they wanted $6000 for the repair, I have elected to do the fix myself (replace egr and oil cooler). The problem is, the dealership says the engine is now "hydrolocked". I am assuming this means coolant in the cylinders. This concerns me, as it will be about 3 weeks before I can do the needed repairs, and I am afraid of rust/damage in the cylinders. How can I get the coolant out of the cylinders?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

No, you are on the proper track.

But what has wondering is if the coolant has hydro locked the engine, you may have a head gasket problem which is also common with the 6.0L.

I would double check the estimate and make sure they were not also quoting the head gasket replacement because of the price of the estimate. $6000 is a lot for the EGR cooler and the oil cooler which is just below the intake manifold and EGR cooler.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Update, I just pulled the oil drain plug and got about 1/2 gallon or less of antifreeze out, followed by oil. The engine turns over easily. Wouldn't that mean that I do not have coolant trapped in the cylinders? Is there still a need to pull the glow plugs?

Turn the engine over several times by hand only with the glow plugs still in place.

The coolant in the oil is caused by the oil cooler. Not sure why that would hydro lock the engine though.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The dealership did say that the oil cooler was bad. I turned the engine several revolutions without any hangup or problem. I am currently ordering a new egr cooler and oil cooler, with all the gaskets, etc needed to do the job. Do you think it is ok to let it sit for the 2 wks it will take for me to get all parts, etc together? No, the dealership was NOT intending to replace head gaskets. they seemed positive that it was the oil cooler that caused the egr to fail.

Yes, they are correct there. But the estimate was really high for just an EGR cooler and the oil cooler.

Make sure you get the cooling system flush additive that you will have to put in the cooling system to flush out the remaining exhaust gases in the system or you will have the same problem again. Below are the TSBs that pertain to your problem and repair.

CLICK HERE
CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

You can print them out. They are PDF files. They also list the parts and the part #'s you may need. Also the process for flushing the cooling system out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help. I cannot open the links. could you resend? I will accept the answer upon receipt.

Thanks again.

They are just PDF files. Make sure you can open PDF files. Also make sure you Adobe Reader installed on your computer.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

Some of them are big. They may take a few minutes to download, based on the speed of your computer.

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again. You have saved me a great deal unnecessary work and expense!
You are very welcome.