EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified
18136160

Ford Explorer 4x4 where is the fuel pump located on a 2002,

Customer Question

where is the fuel pump located on a 2002, v6 ford explorer, and is that possibly my problem. when we went out to start the car it makes a noise when you turn the key but wouldn't start. WHEN MY FREIND CHANGED A FUSE IT BLEW RIGHT AWAY WHEN YOU STRT THE CAR NOW HE HAS FUSE THAT IS LARGER THQN RECOMMENDED IN THERE AND IT STARTS BUT THE FUEL PUMP DOESN'T SEEM TO BE PUMPING FUEL TO THE ENGINE
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

The fuel pump is located inside the gas tank.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does it sound like that is my problem. When trying to start it it makes a noise but won't start when we changed the fuse it starts but blows right away. We know have a lerger fuse in there and it runs but does not seem to be pumping fuel to the engine
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

You are sure you replaced the fuel pump fuse correct ? And no it runs but poorly ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was mistaken it does not run and yes we are sure that we replaced the fuse correctly. When trying to start the car the fuse blows after several attempts (or turning it over)
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
Do not use the larger fuse, you may cause circuit damage, you need to have the cricuit tested to see if in fact the pump is the problem, it could be a wiring issue with a vehicle that is now 8-9 yeras old.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the vehicle has a viper alarm and remote start on it that has been there and worked fine all along. That would not suddenly cause a problem would it
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
If you are blowing the fuel pump fuse, no. Are you at home or somewhere where you have access to a rubber hammer/mallet ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
at home and yes we do have access to a rubber mallett
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
The fuel pump is a small electric motor, if it has sieved up causing the fuse to blow, literally smack the heck out of the bottom of the fuel tank. Put the new fuse in prior but do not turn the key on, then smack the tank a few times prior to cranking...many times that will break it loose...if it does... drive to the nearest place to get a pump installed, it may or may not work that way the next time. Let me know what happens.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
What happened ????