Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

91 Ford F-150: disengage..The starter stays engaged whether the truck

We have a 91 Ford F-150 that the starter will not disengage. The starter stays engaged whether the truck is running or shut off.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
TIM MOHR :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX is caused by a bad starter relay, this is mounted on the right side fende well, first thing to check is if the starter disengages when you pull the small push on connector of of it, if it still stays engaed, then it is in the relay, this is common,Tim

Customer :

I just put a new relay on the fender as I new this was a common problem. What else is there?

TIM MOHR :

do you have power on the push on connector at all times?

Customer :

I assume that I do, but when I put the negative terminal on the battery, the starter starts turning again.

TIM MOHR :

then you either have the relay wired wrong, or the small wire that pushes on to the relay, not bolted on, has power at all times, can you remove the pushon connector and see if the starter turns when the neg cable is installed?

Customer :

I just removed the push-on connector, reconnected the ground cable and starter still engages.

TIM MOHR :

then its either a bad relay or you have the wires on wrong, what wires did you put on which studs?

Customer :

I replaced them the same way they came off.

Customer :

I put on a new relay and wired as it originally was hooked up.

TIM MOHR :

can you lookat it and tell me which wires are where, it should have 2 large studs, one on each side, the large wire from the battery goes on the stud closest to the battery, and all the smaller wires go on this stud too, then the other large stud has the one large wire that goes to the starter

Customer :

I will go outside and try that. It will take a minute or so.

TIM MOHR :

let me know,Tim

Customer :

i checked the wiring there are red andthree yellow and a green one on the first post and black to the starter i took the green one off the post and hooked the neg up and the starter run still

TIM MOHR :

then you have a bad relay, was it doing the same thing with the old relay?

Customer :

yes it was i just put on two days ago i have checked the grounds from body to the motor

Customer :

i also have a new starter

TIM MOHR :

can you take a picture of the relay for me and post it here?

Customer :

no sorry but it is afour post one small post to and bottom and two large post left and rt

TIM MOHR :

the large wire from the battery goes to one stud, then the large wire to the staer goes to the other large post, when power from the igniton go to the small push on coneector it send continuity between the 2 large post, tus to the starter, so if there is continuity between the 2 large post at all time, with the small push on connector off, then the relay is bad, it can be nothing else

Customer :

so do i check for continuity with the push on connector on and then with it off if i have continuity it is bad i will check it

TIM MOHR :

do this, remove all wires from the relay, except the large one from the battery to the relay and the large one from the starter to the relay, and tell me if the starter still turns over when the neg cable is installed,Tim

Customer :

My son-in-law is still out at the Ford and trying what you suggested. I'll get him this info.

TIM MOHR :

let me know,Tim

Customer :

no, the starter did not turn on.

TIM MOHR :

then you have it wired wrong, did you get the relay from ford or aftermarket?

Customer :

aftermarket.

TIM MOHR :

and with it all hooked up, and the small wire on the push connector off, it still stays engaged?

Customer :

it is not engaging now, check for continuity shows open circuit.

TIM MOHR :

and everything is hooked up?

Customer :

When we pulled everything off except the battery and starter cable, it doesn't engage. In fact it will not engage at all now e en with all back on.

Customer :

nno not now, do you want it hooked up again?

TIM MOHR :

hook up the push on connector and see if the starter turns with out engaging the key

Customer :

OK, we will try this.

Customer :

no, it is not turning over now.

TIM MOHR :

ok, now with everything hooked up, does it start with the key

Customer :

Started it once with the key and it started with the starter shutting off. Tried it a second time and the starter kept running. Same problem.

TIM MOHR :

then it has to be in the relay, i would try a different one,Tim

Customer :

He can short with the key and the bendix kicks out. If he turns the key hard over then the starter keeps running. As I said before, if you slam the hood sut hard the starter shuts off. He has a real problem.

TIM MOHR :

ok, if he turns the key hard and the starter stays engaged, then it is a problem with the ignition switch, but if this is true, then the push on connection should have power when the starter is stuck on, does it?

TIM MOHR :

but earlier, you said it would stay engaged when the pushon connector is off, if so, then it cant be in the ignition, or anything in the primary system, do you have the relay bolted to the fender, is the place where it is bolted clean of rust and debris, this is where the relay gets its ground, it has to have a good ground here,Tim

Customer :

We will check this.

TIM MOHR :

let me know

Customer :

Have not heard from him as yet!!!!

TIM MOHR :

we can wait

Customer :

We will try a new ignition and hope that is the problem. Thanks for your help. I will hit the "Accept" button.

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL