A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2005 Ford F150 FX4-5.4 engine I have installed new timing

Customer Question

2005 Ford F150 FX4-5.4 engine
I have installed new timing chains, guides, tentioners, two new cam fasers and one new cam actuator. I am going behind another mechanic. The engine when cold runs fine...after driving the truck for a few miles it starts misfiring and engine light comes on. The engine is noisey and runs very rough. I can cut the engine off and restart and it runs perfect. My scan tool gives me P0022 code which tell me that cam acuactor a bank 2 over retard and also PO345 bank 2 circuit malfuncation. can you please tell me what could be the problem....help thanks!
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Remove the VCT solenoid that sticks out of the valve cover on the passenger side. You will have to remove the passenger side valve cover to remove the VCT solenoid. Make sure the screen is clean and no debris is on the screen. You may also have to remove the VCT solenoid valve body. This is the part that the VCT solenoid attatches to on t he cylinder head. Remove the valve body and make sure there is no debris in the valve body. There is a metal gasket for the valve body and it is reusable. Ford has found that the problem you have is caused by dirt and debris getting caught in the valve body and/or the solenoid screens causing the codes and the problem you have. The timing chain will have to be removed to remove the VCT solenoid valve body from the cylinder head.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have installed new VCT selenoid and cleaned the other unit. All componets are clean. Is there a posiblity when it showed PO345 circuit malfunction could it be electrical problems from the computer or wireing harness.

What does not make sense the truck runs perfect when cold. When going down the road after it warms up it will surge and you can here the throttle open momentairly. Is there any possible way for the 02 sensor to be faulty and cause the timing and fuel curve to be out of compliance...thanks!

Did you have this same code before any repairs were made from the first technician who worked on it or is it a new problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Same code from day one. The first mechanic that tried to fix the truck had same codes. The Ford shop could not fix this truck... they told my customer it needed all the componets that I put in there. The Ford store had already installed one faser. This truck has 104,000 miles

I listed what we usually inspect. Below is what the shop manual states for the code P0022 that you get with the engine running.

HK15 KOER DTCS P0011, P1381, P0012, P1383, P0021, P1386, P0022 AND P1388:

Note: Only diagnose VCT actuator and circuit indicated by the DTC.

Oil contamination in VCT systems can cause positioning errors. VCT systems require an oil filter specific to the application.

• Check the operation of the VCT solenoid and check for a stuck or sticking solenoid valve caused by contamination. If the valve is stuck, check the spider bracket for contamination prior to installing a new solenoid.
  • Check vehicle oil filter identification for proper type.

Also in what order do you get the 2 codes? P0022 P0345 or P0345 P0022?

The first code can cause the second code.

Edited by APenland on 8/17/2010 at 1:53 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
P00345 P0022 I can tell that the cam shaft is retarded because the engine has no power and the rattling in the top end. As soon as you cut the engine off and restart the engine runs smooth again.is this related to the computer malfunctioning in full retard mode or the actuator sticking and causing the faser to retard the cam shaft. what I cannot understand is when you shut the engine off and restart it runs fine untill it throws a code or what ever is going on....thanks!
This is all caused by an oil supply problem in the cylinder head. I would check for any debris in the oil system. Since the engine starts making noise when the problem happens, it is an oil supply problem. Oil goes through the VCT solenoid and valve body to the timing chain tensioners. When the cam phaser goes to full retard, the chain gets loose causing the noise. I would also inspect the cam bearing caps. There are no actual bearings for the cam shafts, the caps are the bearings. Remove the the front cam cap and inspect for any scoring in the cap and on the cam. If you can feel the scoring with your fingernail, the head will have to be replaced. The problem you have is an oiling problem. Make sure the oil is changed and the proper quality oil filter is used. Also clean the cam caps and the VCT valve bodies and the VCT solenoid screens. Also make sure the timing chain tensioner is not leaking oil and releasing any tension from the timing chain. This system itself is really a pain, even when you work on them day to day like I do.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could the problem be electrical...the oil pressure is fine....the oil has been changed has new cam change tentionerand everything is clean.I have already done everything you have susggested......what else could it be.

Below is a pin point test for the code P0345. It is long and lengthy. These 5.4L 3 valve engines, guessing at the problem only creates more problems.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will check this tomorrow and get back with you tomorrow nite. I have got to get this truck fixed for my customer...thanks I will let you know if it works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I checked you last suggestion but it did not work. I cleared the computer the truck was cold overnite and I started the truck and excellarated the truck numerous times to..stop and go to 80 miles an hour ......and the truck ran like it should....untill it warmed up and then the service engine light came on...then I checked with scan tool and it came up P0012.

Is there a possiblity that the computer is getting hot and malfunctioning or a bad wireing harness. I also did some more history and this truck has been to several ford dearler ships with no sucess of repair.......this truck was bought at an auction. I'm not sure if the ford motor can even fix the truck. I wating for a suggestion.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not heard from you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not heard from you 7:30 Thursday night
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still have not received an answer.... are you there!