EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified
18136160

does my 1998 ford explorer have a remote starter solenoid and

Customer Question

does my 1998 ford explorer have a remote starter solenoid and if so where is it at
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hi your dealer can determine if your vehicle came with the solenoid. You will have to include vin #. Make sure you inspect the teeth on the fly wheel. same voltage should kick the starter out. you can jump starter while in car also

Daniel :

truck

Customer:

All the teeth are good. when we turn the key the starter spins but won't engage while the starter was out I tested it on a battery and the solenoid kicks the gear back and forth. like I say the part they sold me mounts to the fender but the starter Ithat is in the vehicle looks to have a solenoid on it so I am not sure if this new part is in addition to what the starter has on it

Daniel :

I will bring a diagram of starter system for you.

Customer:

okay

Daniel :

brb

Daniel :

Full Size Image
could be wiring or the relay soenoid

Customer:

Okay what I bought looks like #5 the switch but I'll be D@#$ if I can find it in this thing

Daniel :

The starter solenoid could be grounding out and out of the vehicle could not grounding also. I will get a location for you

Daniel :

Starter Motor RelayLH front of engine compartment, at

fender apron
Daniel :

follow battery cables or starter cables to it

Customer:

k just a sec

Customer:

still not finding it

Customer:

I follow cables to the pwr dist box and to starter

Daniel :

You have a couple of diagrams listed its kinda wierd be right back

Daniel :

they both have the starter relay solenoid.

Customer:

well...are they both supposed to be in the same place?

Daniel :

yes is your 98 older towards at 97 or new towards a 99 I will check thier application

Customer:

Build date is 11/97

Daniel :

ok I will check

Daniel :

97

Daniel :

lets see if this helps.

Full Size Image

Customer:

unfortunately no, where it shows them is my ABS module and no tach or aux relay box

Daniel :

what size and type engine do you have there are like 3 kinds of 4.0

Customer:

4.0l V6 SOHC

Daniel :

ok

Customer:

E vin

Daniel :

.I am going to opt out so another expert might be able to help.

Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.

The starter relay is in the power distribution box, in the engine compartment. The solenoid is located on the starter motor. I have included pics and diagramms of the power distribution box, located on the left side of the engine compartment along the fender. Due to the size the power distribution box will come as 2 pages, you may want to print them as they will over lap one another.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay so if I have swapped the relays around and pulled the starter I tested the solenoid and it kicks back and forth what could the reason be behind it not engaging the flywheel when mounted
Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes

Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.
Back, took a dinner break. I want you to se what the voltage is at the starter when it is bolted up. I am pretty sure you have a bad cable set, and simply do not have nough voltage there, I have seen cable set corrode internally and you cannot even see it, it requires the meter to see the voltage drop. I am pretty confident here after looking back at the schematic.