Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Ford F 150: V8..crank..Engine runs great, but about every 20 times I

Customer Question

I have a Ford F 150 Triton V8, 5.4, and it will crank but not start. Engine runs great, but about every 20 times I try to start it, it won't fire up. Usually, if I wait 15 minutes, it starts right up and then goes another 20 times. This time, however, it won't start even after waiting. I've had all filters replaced and fuel pump checks out.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.

Was the fuel pump checked when it was in this "no start " mode or was or checked while it was running and starting fine ? Can I have a VIN # ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it was checked in the no start mode. 1FTRX18W6XKA27056
Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.
So you do have fuel pressure ? Have you lost ignition spark or have you checked for injector pulse, do you have a noid light ?
Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.
Has this engine been replaced...8th digit is a W in the VIN, that is a 4.6L
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Don't know about, or what it is, a noid light. The engine has never been replaced. I bought the truck new and it has 96,500 miles on it. And yes, it is a 4.6L. Should have known that
Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.

A noid light plugs into the injector harness to see if you have an injector pulse.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check. Is it also possible that the air sensor could be faulty? Or a coil?
Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.
Highly unlikely.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So the fuel injectors could be faulty. Just to double check, this would be consistent with the pattern of starting 19 out of 20 times, then today, out of the blue, not starting at all? Lastly, since I'm not a mechanic, I assume I have to find a noid light, or purchase one, right?
Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.
I doubt it is the injectors themselves, but what is upstream electrical wise.