Bamaman39
Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech
17239397

I have a check engine code that is P006A. Manifold absolute

I have a check engine code that is P006A. Manifold absolute sensor - mass air flow correlation. Also P0401 insuffient EGR flow. I replaced the MAP sensor and still get the same codes. Any suggestions? EGR valve? The truck is 2003 F250 SD 6.0 powerstroke.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Bamaman39 :

Thank you for using just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you today

Bamaman39 :

Have you taken the egr valve out?

Customer:

no

Bamaman39 :

The first thing to do is to remove the egr valve and see if its full of carbon. If it is clean the valve and reset the light. If the light comes back on then replace the valve. If there is no carbon build up on the egr valve then replace the egr valve. The code p0401 is the first code to fix as it will set the p006a code

Customer:

how long does it take to remove the egr valve?

Customer:

if the valve is full of carbon what do i use to clean it?

Bamaman39 :

Not long at all. It is located beside the fuel filter on the top of the motor. Just take both 8mm bolts out then take a pair or channel locks to twist it and pull. If it will not come out you may have to use a pry bar to take it out

Customer:

is this a common problem with my truck?

Bamaman39 :

Yes its very common for egr carbon build up or egr valve failures

Bamaman39 :

I would sugeest blowing the truck out from time to time. Like floor it so all the carbon will blow out the intake and exhaust

Customer:

i started having the problem after pulling a big trailer. it blew abunch of stuff out of the tail pipe and shortly after that the codes came up.

Bamaman39 :

Was it black smoke?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

thick black smoke

Bamaman39 :

Yeah i would take the valve out and look for alot of carbon. Sounds like either the valve is full of carbon or the turbo is. Do this remove the valve and clean then reset codes. If it comes back replace the egr valve and put in fuel conditioner. If you are still having this issue then the intake might be full of carbon. But alot of the Ford cetane fuel conditioner will clean it out

Customer:

is there a way to clean the carbon out of the turbo?

Customer:

im pretty good at using a cetane booster from amsoil

Bamaman39 :

The turbo if bad will need to be removed and taken apart. But do the egr valve first

Customer:

thank you very much! hope cleaning the egr valve will do the trick.

Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience: 10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech