RD
RD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  MASTER ASE 35 YEARS
3087803

What is the right way to bleed the brakes on a 2000 ford ranger

What is the right way to bleed the brakes on a 2000 ford ranger w/abs? With the motor running or not abs unplugged, or what??? Tkxxxxxxx Bob
Category: Ford
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Welcome back to JA!

If you have not bleed the master cylinder and you don't have the master cylinder brake bleed kit,

On the brake master cylinder reservoir, loosen the master cylinder-to-hydraulic line fittings.

Wrap a shop cloth around the tubing below the fitting to absorb escaping brake fluid.

Push the brake pedal down slowly to the floor of the cab. This will force air trapped in the brake master cylinder reservoir to escape at the fitting.

Hold the brake pedal down and tighten the fitting. Release the brake pedal. NOTE: Do not release the brake pedal until the fitting is tightened or air will re-enter the brake master cylinder reservoir.

Repeat this procedure until air ceases to escape at the fitting.

More Ford Ranger RABS

Wheel Cylinder Bleeding

Place a box wrench on the bleeder fitting on the rear anti-lock brake system valve. Attach a rubber drain tube to the bleeder fitting making sure the end of the tube fits snugly around the bleeder fitting.

Submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid. Loosen the bleeder fitting approximately three-quarters of a turn.

Slowly press the brake pedal all the way down. Close the bleeder fitting, and return the brake pedal to the fully-released position. Repeat this operation until air bubbles no longer appear at the submerged end of the bleeder tube.

When the fluid is completely free of air bubbles, close the bleeder fitting and remove the bleeder tube.

Place a box wrench on the right brake wheel cylinder. Attach a rubber drain tube to the bleeder fitting making sure the end of the tube fits snugly around the bleeder fitting.

Slowly push the brake pedal all the way down. Close the bleeder fitting, and return the brake pedal to the fully-released position. Repeat this operation until air bubbles no longer appear at the submerged end of the bleeder tube.

Repeat this procedure at the left brake wheel cylinder on the opposite side. Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir after each wheel cylinder is bled.

Bleed the front brakes starting with the right front brake and then the left front brake as described in the Steps i have described

When the bleeding operation is complete, fill the brake master cylinder to the maximum level line of the brake master cylinder reservoir.

Let me know if i can help more!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry but you didn't answer my question. I already know how to bleed brakes. I'm concerned with the abs aspect, whether air will be trapped somewhere in the manifold or pump. That is why I asked the question. Does the motor need to be running, abs module unplugged or not, or what?
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.

HI

No the truck does not need to be running the abs does not need to be unpluged

When bleeding the person should not push the pedal all the way to the floor.

put a 1" board behind the brake pedal so the master cylinder does not bottom out,

Let me know if i can help more!